Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Was crawling under the Jeep - got a question

Old 12-28-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was crawling under the Jeep - got a question

I finally had time to crawl under my JK and check out its guts this evening. I noticed the oil pan is completely exposed to the elements.

This worries me. Looks like a prime target to be ripped off during some wheeling.

Anyone recommend a simple remedy for this? I'd prefer to armor it somehow and still allow easy access to the drain plug.. looks like it was right next to it but on the backside.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this thread. Don't let the colors fool you - they just help show the various plates.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rock-hard-4x4-skid-plates-17900/

You might be interested in protecting the Evap Canister as well. I have the Evap Canister skid plate. Need to do something with the oil pan too.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/carbon-filter-thingie-23492/
Old 12-29-2007, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Try this thread. Don't let the colors fool you - they just help show the various plates.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17900

You might be interested in protecting the Evap Canister as well. I have the Evap Canister skid plate. Need to do something with the oil pan too.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23492
I kind of like the Joseph's coat look.......
Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by samc
I think the colors are for demonstration only. They ship black powder coat.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samc
LOL love the reference
Old 12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17900

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23492
A much cheaper and better solution for the evap cannister issue is the relocation kit that Woods on this site offers. Highly recommended. It relocates the cannister above the rear axle so it is protected. Woods is a TOP notch guy and has helped a lot of us out here in SoCal fix this issue by relocating the EC. PM him if you are interested.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default SKID ROW engine trans skidplate

was very concearned about oil pan as well(prior to lift)installed skid row skidplate,very strong fits well easy to install,also good access to eng.oil drain plug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new year 08 008.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	5103  

Last edited by rickl; 01-01-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spencenaz
A much cheaper and better solution for the evap cannister issue is the relocation kit that Woods on this site offers. Highly recommended. It relocates the cannister above the rear axle so it is protected. Woods is a TOP notch guy and has helped a lot of us out here in SoCal fix this issue by relocating the EC. PM him if you are interested.
No doubt the Woods kit is superior to just wraping the evap cansiter in steel. For those that like to spend more time under the Jeep than in it, (easy guys, just teasing) then cutting and hacking the OE bracket and hoses is fine. I'm more inclined to leave as much OE factory stuff in place as possible as long as adequate protection can be added.

The way I see it, we have three choices (especially if you live in an emissions inspection area):

1. Leave the evap canister alone, whack it off on a stump or rock, void warranty on canister and fail emissions check.
2. Move it, no danger of stumps or rocks, void warranty on canister, pass emissions check (but maybe not inspection).
3. Protect it, some danger of stumps or rocks, warranty on canister OK as long as impact does not exceed strength of protection, pass emissions check and inspection.

If the warranty and/or emissions is not an issue and neither is mechanical ability and/or time, then the Woods kit is a great solution.

I know that the dealer needs to "prove" the relocation caused whatever issue might be related to the evap canister, so maybe one could make an argument that the modifications had nothing to do with an evap canister failure.

Just another 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt the Woods kit is superior to just wraping the evap cansiter in steel. For those that like to spend more time under the Jeep than in it, (easy guys, just teasing) then cutting and hacking the OE bracket and hoses is fine. I'm more inclined to leave as much OE factory stuff in place as possible as long as adequate protection can be added.

The way I see it, we have three choices (especially if you live in an emissions inspection area):

1. Leave the evap canister alone, whack it off on a stump or rock, void warranty on canister and fail emissions check.
2. Move it, no danger of stumps or rocks, void warranty on canister, pass emissions check (but maybe not inspection).
3. Protect it, some danger of stumps or rocks, warranty on canister OK as long as impact does not exceed strength of protection, pass emissions check and inspection.

If the warranty and/or emissions is not an issue and neither is mechanical ability and/or time, then the Woods kit is a great solution.

I know that the dealer needs to "prove" the relocation caused whatever issue might be related to the evap canister, so maybe one could make an argument that the modifications had nothing to do with an evap canister failure.

Just another 2 cents.

I've checked with my local dealer, and he confirmed that moving the EC will not effect the EC warranty. Caveat lector, every dealers is different. I'm not sure how moving the kit could cause an emissions issue. If it was a problem, the kit can always be moved back to the stock location, using just two of the original factory mounting bolts. This has been tested.

And I agree with another of your points, completely. My kit is for those who like to wrench on their Jeep, or like to have a professional wrench on their Jeep. If you do not like doing or paying for this type of work, the skid plate is a much easier install. I'm specifically designing products for those who 1. enjoy working on their Jeep, or 2. Want or need to save money as a result of working on their own Jeep. or 3. Want the best possible solution available.

Thanks for the 2 cents.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the Skidrow skid for the oil pan and a skid from offroad extreeme and everything is AOK.no problems changing my oil either.

Quick Reply: Was crawling under the Jeep - got a question