Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Crappy OEM fender flares

Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy OEM fender flares

I think this has been touched on before, but I seek some more specific input. First off: the OEM fender flares from Jeep suck balls!!! Moderate (i.e. NO rock crawling, minimal mud, just basically fire trails and a lot of dry pack whoop de doos) off roading has wreaked havoc with my fenders flares. The driver's front has popped halfway off a couple of times, and the passenger front has popped loose near the hood (I don't know how the hell that happened!). When I rock my 35s, I'm gonna get either the Bushwhacker or Xenon flares, but for all the California based JK'ers out there (specifically those rolling in the bacon infested parts of Los Angeles County):

Is it legal to rock NO fender flares with a stock tire fitment? I'm rolling some very humble LT245/75R16 (about a 30"). Is this something anyone has tried and/or gotten pulled over for? Inquiring minds want to know! Holla' back.

Russ D.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure no matter where you go, no fender's is illegal.

If your tire picks up a rock, that little rock can become deadly if it's allowed to fly freely.

Save a life... Keep the tires covered.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Road debris kick back on paved streets should be hella minimal, though (I mean, unless you're blatantly rolling through a construction zone or something to that effect). I was just worried about getting a citation. Tu sabes?

Russ D.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any debris is dangerous. I'm almost certain you'd get a ticket. Up in NH, a friend took me out in his fenderless rat rod. He had just finished it that weekend, and was only on his second drive with it. 5 minutes in we got pulled over and were told to cover up... It was just a warning, but it didn't take very long!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:51 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

tread MUST be covered, or you will have a johnny-law visit. Doesn't matter if the sidewalls "bulge" out past the flares, but the tread MUST be covered.

With that said, check out mcmaster/grainger sites for quick disconnect type hardware. I wheeled with guys running TJs that would use a button twist bolt, and remove their fenders when out on the trails.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Had a similar issue... took my jeep through a mud pit and somehow managed to complete knock off my rear pass flare. Didn't have time/parts to fix it, wound up costing over $80 at a dealership to fix (whole other issue... i no longer use that dealership) but it'd be nice to see some quick-disconnect flares for the jk... any one know about the tube fenders Xtreme 4x4 put on their JK? Did they ever make production???
Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Bacon infested?....everybody loves to hate until they need something.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeReo
Bacon infested?....everybody loves to hate until they need something.
Just caught that, after you pointed it out.

Ya know, they're just doin their effin job.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just my $0.02.

Bushwacker flares suck. They are made of a hard plastic material that does not flex. What this means is each time you hit an obstical on a trail (tree, rock, etc.) the flares crack. I know this from experience. For this reason the early bronco guys use a flare that is extremely flexible called a gorilla warflare.

Personally, I would check out poison spyder and see if they have steel flat-top fenders for the JK yet and just forget about the plastic.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

I looove bacon.

As for the crapy plastic flenders. I think you may have some defect with yours. I also do moderate wheeling. Mine haven't fallen off once not even partially. I will say they don't seem to attached very tightly. They are fairly flexi. But before I even considered running no flairs on my new jeep I might investigate a way to fasten them more permanently. It doesn't look remotely finished under that plastic. It will look like your jeep didn't make it to the end of the assembly line.

Quick Reply: Crappy OEM fender flares