Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Crap!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHA I thought i was the only dumb-dumb to do that Glad i'm not the only one
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost did this once, now it sticks in my head, my cowl cover though is slightly dimpled at the screws from when I put them back in after installing the windshield lights
Old 03-17-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rock hit the hood about a day after I had the Jeep. Yes I did purchase the yellow touch up paint for the spot where the rock took it down to metal. Looks better than a rust spot that will get worse.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

damn dude that sucks...really sucks....i have a really bad scratch on my rear passenger door from when i had the doors off the first time right after i bought it.....they were sitting in the garage on carpet nice and safe and i managed to drop a 2x4 on it and take a chunk out....kinda like you, i don't consider it a badge of honor so much as a badge of my own stupidity....now i have enough redneck pinstriping that it doesn't really bother me but it is the worst scratch on the whole damn jeep....the pinstripes disappear with a good wash and wax job but that scratch doesn't.....i bought the touch up paint right away to fix it but didn't want it to end up looking like a bad cover up and look worse so i haven't pulled the trigger on fixing it yet....
Old 04-18-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

touch paint up on the jeep. just mud to cover scratches. and lots of it.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I here two things on here and I would like to correct one. For those of you that dont believe in touch up paint then more power to you. For those of you that hate the way touchup paint looks then your simply not doing it right. Touch up paint is just that PAINT, with a little work you can make it look like nothing ever happened, but it requires more that just putting paint on the scratch. Here is a quick down and dirty:

1. Clean the scratch and area around the scratch thoroughly, to include removing any wax present.

2. Use a clay bar is you have one to get rid of any risidual buildup in or around the scratch.

3. Use a paint degreaser to prep the area.

4. Apply touch up paint and let it dry COMPLETLEY

5. Using 800-1000 grit sand paper lightly wet sand the area to even out the paint from the scratch and the rest of your paint coating. Reaply touch up paint if neccassary to even out coats.

6. Switch to a polishing compound on the scratch area to begin to bring back the shine.

7. wax the area to a brilliant shine
Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

If it makes you feel any better, I did that two months into owning my jeep. I was at the self service car wash, put up the wipers, then later went to put up the hood and heard the worst sound I ever heard... And if it makes you feel even better, I did it again about a year later - again cleaning the Jeep. Yes, I am an idiot. I have considered putting a small piece of rubber or something at the end of the wipers. But I feel for you. I didn't do a great job of it - but I used the touch up paint - it has a small roller pen on one end. Now every time I wash the hood (and my Jeep is black) it just kills me. The pretty lines down the side of the Jeep - courtesy of some tree branches - don't bother me half as much.... but the truth is, after two years of ownership, I don't get as uptight about the scratches as I did in the first year.... I would do something better than I did - like 09rubicon mentions.

Last edited by deadspot; 04-18-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

If the scratches don't go through the clear coat into the paint there is a poly coat touch up tube on the market. I think it is by Simonize. Haven't used it myself.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bjhester
I had a rock hit the hood about a day after I had the Jeep. Yes I did purchase the yellow touch up paint for the spot where the rock took it down to metal. Looks better than a rust spot that will get worse.
x2 i had the same thing happen to me twice in the same month.

it looks way better Black than an ugly brown rust spot
Old 04-19-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Been over a month and had kind of moved on. Then logged on today and saw the newer replies. I used Mopar roller pen touch-up like "Deadspot" mentioned and worked pretty well ( appears like two pieces of sewing thread, very thin) and have toyed with the idea of what to do to try and make it blend in better. "09rubico" had some good advice tho seemed more aimed at spray paint to me. Thanks to all!

Quick Reply: Crap!!!