Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cracked Hard Top Repairable?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Hard Top Repairable?

i have found a hard top for sale that has a crack in it from being dropped. just curious how hard it would be to repair it? and what would be the best method for it? thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depends how big the crack is but lets assume its a decent crack all the way through.

I would buzz the back side of the panel an inch or two from the crack with 50-80 grit using a 90 degree pistol grinder. I would then v-groove/bevel the front side of the crack creating a shallow 20 degree v-groove along the crack.

For the repair....if I were a back yard guy with limited resources I would use Tiger hair to fill the v-grooved out front side of the crack. I would also apply along the area I buzzed on the back side of the crack. http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=39

After it cures in 15-30 minutes sand the Tiger Hair with 80 grit as smooth as you can on both sides of the repair (its most likely going have little craters from air pockets in it).

Either apply a skim coat of Tiger Hair across the exterior side of the crack or apply a skim coat of an SMC Filler over the previously sanded Tiger Hair. Assuming you applied your skim coat smooth enough you should be able to block sand it with 180 grit. Then block sand with 320.

From that point you set your repair up for 2k priming then painting.

Myself with more available resources I would use a 2 component adhesive system like Duramix or Lord Fusor in place of Tiger Hair simply because I'm familiar with both adhesive repair systems and I have applicators guns (expensive) for both systems. Adhesives are stronger as well.

Whatever you do....your top is NOT fiberglass!

Its is SMC so make sure whatever repair products and fillers you buy make sure they are SMC compatible!

If you use good old fashion resin or body filler that isn't SMC compatible you can have expansion and contractions problems aka haloing even adhesion/delam issues.

Last edited by Robar; 10-01-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST CLICKABLE NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

The wind blew mine of my rack... It cracked on both upper rear corners...
Dealer did a perfect repair. You can't see the difference...
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks guys. im thinking for 500 bucks i cant go wrong as long as its repairable.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seeing that its made out of fiber glass i would patch with fiber glass. fiber glass is great, slap it on, let it dry, sand until you're happy and paint it. if your not happy, slap some more on and re-sand.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

hold on is it or is it not fiberglass? i have heard that its molded and that its made of fiberglass in several different threads. anyone have a definitive answer?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

IT IS NOT FIBERGLASS!

IT IS SMC OR SHEET MOLDED COMPOUND

$500 for a f'up top isn't a deal when a body shop would charge 500+++ to repair and paint a cracked top....can you post pictures?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

How bad is the damage? Post some pictures please. Might not be worth it.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have pictures of it on my computer, but I'm on my phone right now. It's one good crack on the right side right around the " door surround" and another hairline one on the back left rounded part just above the glass
Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$500 is ridiculous for a used, damaged hard top unless its very minor damage.

Quick Reply: Cracked Hard Top Repairable?