Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cracked front windshield....Did this happen to you??

Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugg ok going to call up a chip ding repair service....hope it will keep off the windshield replacement gods for another season...

and def! going to look in to this unicorn deal of insurance replacing it for free.....
Old 01-03-2012, 08:33 AM
bkw
JK Freak

I'm on my third windshield, and have had a 4" crack from the pass corner up. I've got the optional glass coverage, but they wont cover a new windshield unless the crack is longer than a dollar bill. It's been stuck at 4" for over six months now :(
Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Mine cracked in exactly the same place on the weekend, crack initiated at the bottom edge of the windshield directly above the middle of the vent, there was no indication of rock damage in the area and it was parked in a heated parking garage too. Gotta love it.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

2nd WINDSHIELD IN TWO WEEKS!

After an incident with a wayward sun visor, I had my glass replaced 2 Saturdays ago.

The following Thursday, stone chip.
I immediately called Safelite to repair, as I wanted to take care of my new $300+ investment. Scheduled a tech to come to my home on Monday to do the repair...

Tech shows up, and tells me that it's just a surface chip, not worth filling, and that those never crack.

I took his word for it. Assuming that the "certified and trained" tech knew what he was talking about. I even showed him where I could see a slight (1/8") crack from the driver's seat. His response, that's just a glare.

So, I assume all is well. Two days go by, (yesterday) I look out at my jeep from my shop (as I always do), and now that surface chip that will never crack, has somehow miraculously turned into a 9 inch crack that goes right to the edge of the windshield!

After no help whatsoever from the 1-800 operator, I call the original shop that replaced it the first time.

After many conversations with managers etc, my new FREE windshield is being installed today.
However I would have been fine with paying the price of a repair, since that's what I tried to do in the first place.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Still have the original windshield in my 2008 JK 2 door. Only have 12,400 miles. Knock on wood, hope it lasts a very long time.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default No Cost to me

I have had my windshield replaced once and I am due to get a new one again because of three chips. Just waiting till the cracks appear. I full glass coverage so I don't have to pay anything out of pocket to get the windshield replaced.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me a couple of years ago. We actually had SNOW here in sunny Shreveport. My w/s had a small chip/star to begin with. I turned on the heater/defrost and parked the Jeep under a drive-thru overhang to get my kids from day care...was only out of the Jeep for about 90 seconds. I came back to a crack that extended from right in front of my face all the way across to the other side of the w/s.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just replaced a windshield in my 09. The crack was the length of a dollar bill located on the passenger side down at the bottom near the speaker. Didn't see any indication of a stone impacting the window.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Cracks suck. Got one all the way across the window plus 2 seperate chips. I hate gravel roads
Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Bought my Jeep June 23rd, in August, I replaced 3. 2 from cars in the other lane, the other once had alot of wind noise and they broke it taking it out. I cracked that one over Christmas. That was from another car in the opposite lane. Stupid DOH puts enough stupid salt down it is like driving on gravel. Give me the snow and not that crap that cracks my windshield and rusts my jeep.

Quick Reply: Cracked front windshield....Did this happen to you??