Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cracked front windshield....Did this happen to you??

Old 12-11-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apwjk518
Has this happened to anyone out there. . . . .

Had the heat on this morning, it was on the front defrost and floor setting. after it got too warm I turned the temp setting a little cooler. A few minutes later, what I thought was a rock hitting my windshield, instead a crack
appeared right above the defrost and ran up the windshield approximately 5-6 inches.

Heat related or stress related??
I can say, my experiance is I got a small rock chip... And I mean small one right by the edge of the glass. I didnt even know it was there until I saw this little hairline crack appear at the bottom of the windshield. The chip was out of my line of site until the crack started to "walk" The 1st 1/2 inch of the windshield is the most vulnerable to chips that turn to cracks. I now check periodically for chips all around the edge before they can spread
Old 12-11-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ktonrider
I can say, my experiance is I got a small rock chip... And I mean small one right by the edge of the glass. I didnt even know it was there until I saw this little hairline crack appear at the bottom of the windshield. The chip was out of my line of site until the crack started to "walk" The 1st 1/2 inch of the windshield is the most vulnerable to chips that turn to cracks. I now check periodically for chips all around the edge before they can spread
That's where mine was. About 1-2 inches from bottom of the windshield.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bnizzle
I think a baby kitten dies every time a jeep windshield cracks!....
Hahahahaha!
Agreed.
Mine got a chip after 4 weeks down the freeway. No big deal I'll just get it repaired. Next day I hear another rock hit but I see no chip. A few minutes later, the crack crawled up from the base about 6 inches.
Aww damn. That crack has since grown to a 12 incher. Less than 3 months old and she needs new glasses. That just sucks.

Oh, and I keep thinking the jeep glass is poor quality, but then I think - the windshield is vertical not slanted like other cars. Rocks can't really glance off can they.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

who the F'balls do you have?! and is it a one time use?
I have mine through state farm. I've used it several times. In AZ there is a lot of rock and gravel on the roads so flying debris is standard. It's definitely worth it.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

had to replace my 1st windshield in October because it cracked from the passenger side up about 6" then ran towards driver's side about 2'. It happened during a snow storm so i attributed it to the heat/cold stress on the glass.
got it replaced with OEM for free (Taxachusetts requires glass covered by all insurance at no charge).
my 2nd windshield just cracked yesterday, so as long as it grows larger than a $1bill i'll get that one replaced for free too!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

7 months and counting.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep mine was a couple months after I bought it
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

6 months for me...and bam ding = crack...and i see a new one (ding that is)..

anyone use that chip repair service? does it work? not sure if i should get it patched up or if its a scam...
Free Rock chip repair with new windshield. So ya..,it's worth it. Keeps you from having to spend the $180 ish on a new windsheild

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.426767,-114.347149
Sent from my iPhone 4s using Verizon 3G
Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got my first big ding the first few months of owning mine. I figured "okay, I'll just grab the ding repair kit from my local store.". I've done it on my other rigs without any problems. Well, it won't work since the angle of the windshield is so steep! I just used clear tape. I've since accumulated a few more. Apparently private business' get the wrong size gravel during winter. I have a nice crack from the top middle a quarter of the way down that curves back up. I'll replace it one of these days. Anyway, temp changes aren't your friend when you have un-cured dings.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

6 months for me...and bam ding = crack...and i see a new one (ding that is)..

anyone use that chip repair service? does it work? not sure if i should get it patched up or if its a scam...
Safelite actually fixed up two small cracks I received from jeeps kicking up rocks after a trail ride, the rocks kicked up on the highway , think I would have learned my lesson the first time dont travel behind jeepers after you finish a trail ride but the chips were small enough to repair and they been good so far ( knock on wood )

Quick Reply: Cracked front windshield....Did this happen to you??