Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cracked front windshield....Did this happen to you??

Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECHO
I think everyone goes through at least one windshield in the first two years
That's comforting...lol
Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WXman
Was running the defrost on a 20 degree morning in my KJ last winter.. cruising along... then POP. Windshield cracked from the left edge all the way to the right edge... and right in my line of vision too. Ugh.. First time I'd EVER had a windshield crack due to cold weather/being heated from inside.

In Kentucky, anybody with insurance is entitled to free windshield replacements. So I called 'em up and got my windshield guy to come out and put in a new one. While he was there, he said "This windshield has already been replaced before." The Jeep was only 5 years old. I guess Jeep uses the crappiest specs. possible for their glass.
I'm glad I live in Kentucky with ya then!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea i guess with a flat face there is nothing we can do but fund the windshield installers kids college funds...
Old 12-09-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bnizzle
Yea i guess with a flat face there is nothing we can do but fund the windshield installers kids college funds...
Trust me, they probably need it xP
Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

I owned my Jeep slightly less than 24 hours before having to replace the windshield. Rock came up and chipped it so I drove directly to Safelight. As he was repairing it we both heard a little pop. New windshield time.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Mine cracked about 2 weeks after I bought my 2012 and it's finally getting replaced today! All it took was one cold morning and a heater.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

I wonder if those hood shields actually help deflect rocks over the windshield at all, or if they are for insects only?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine just happened this morning on the way to work. The crack is from the top left corner diagonally down to the right. I suspect it will continue accross my field of vision and will need replacing. Bought my jeep in October. It will cost $189.00 CAD installed to replace with an aftermarket. Hoping I can wait till spring.

Cheers

Last edited by Kaisoboy; 12-09-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sucks bro...

I had mine replaced in Germany...what the F'balls pricey....about 600$..insurance kicked down for part...glad to be back in the states where its a bit cheaper
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOW...$600!!!

I was going to get glass coverage but my deductable is $500 CAD so it is not worth going that route. Here during the winter they use small agrigate (gravel) on the roads so cracked windshields are a way of life. Generally on a normal vehicle we change the windshields every 2 years due to cracks or pitting so we are used to having to do it.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Cracked front windshield....Did this happen to you??