Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Coolant temperature

Old 10-20-2017, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temperature

So I've posted a bit about my engine running a little hot and was curious about the coolant temps. My Jeep is a manual, and I notice sometimes a smell comes from the grill that smells a little clutchy if that makes sense. I notice my coolant temp can go up to 220s when there's more traffic. Haven't had any drop in coolant levels which is good. But does it make sense that in traffic with a stick the clutch may get a little hot hence the temperature and smell? Are these numbers terrible?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

It would help to know what year your JK is.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry it's a 2017
Old 10-21-2017, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine has gotten has high as 242...it's been to 2 different dealerships, both of which say the hottest they've seen it is 228. I sent one dealership a text last time then it got up to 237 and they said it was "normal."

I had my radiator replaced by the dealership back in June and it never got that hot before they replaced it.

Mine is a 2014 auto JKUR.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dblack
Mine has gotten has high as 242...it's been to 2 different dealerships, both of which say the hottest they've seen it is 228. I sent one dealership a text last time then it got up to 237 and they said it was "normal."

I had my radiator replaced by the dealership back in June and it never got that hot before they replaced it.

Mine is a 2014 auto JKUR.
Sounds like you have air in your system.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by blackie27
So I've posted a bit about my engine running a little hot and was curious about the coolant temps. My Jeep is a manual, and I notice sometimes a smell comes from the grill that smells a little clutchy if that makes sense. I notice my coolant temp can go up to 220s when there's more traffic. Haven't had any drop in coolant levels which is good. But does it make sense that in traffic with a stick the clutch may get a little hot hence the temperature and smell? Are these numbers terrible?
The 3.6L engine runs a lot hotter than the 3.8L engine. The numbers you posted are in line with what I have seen in all threads related to 3.6L temperatures.

I am not convinced the engine should be running that hot. People report the temps continuing to climb after the fan comes on. I would think the temp should drop when the fan comes on.

Whether it's normal or not, the 3.6L engines don't seem to be failing due to high coolant temperatures.

Regarding the hot clutch smell in traffic, that is entirely possible. Repeated revving to get moving is the most common cause. The won'r raise the coolant temperature, though.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-23-2017 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant temperature