Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Coolant leak, timing cover?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:53 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Gasket probably, but it has to come apart regardless. I would not try any of the stop-leak additives, doubtful they would work on a leak that large plus the heater core and/or radiator can get restricted.

Sounds like you're probably not doing this yourself, but in any case touch base after it's apart.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Gasket probably, but it has to come apart regardless. I would not try any of the stop-leak additives, doubtful they would work on a leak that large plus the heater core and/or radiator can get restricted.

Sounds like you're probably not doing this yourself, but in any case touch base after it's apart.
Yeah hopefully it’s gasket. I saw it looks like a mating surface but wasn’t necessarily sure. Now, that’s the real question of the hour. I know a little bit about a few things, but overall, engine repair knowledge is pretty scarce. I mean, I’ve replaced my radiator and hoses and haven’t had any issues with the coolant until just now. So technically what I’ve done is still holding up nice and strong 😎 how feasible would it be to replaced gasket myself? Or would I be better off taking it to a shop?
Old 11-19-2019, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rocker730
<snip> how feasible would it be to replaced gasket myself? Or would I be better off taking it to a shop? </snip>
At your experience level, take it to a shop, maybe get estimates from a dealer and a couple other shops. It's more technical and time consuming than it appears, plus there is special tools to pull the crank pulley, etc. After it's apart, the timing chain should get inspected for excess play -- There is a spec and method to measure the play in place so it's not just a wag.

Last edited by Mr.T; 11-19-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rocker730
I posted this up in the New Member thread, but figured it would get more attention if I posted in the Tech Thread. If anyone can help me out that would be great!!!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-...-cover-352370/
Good morning , I have a 2008 JK that has that same leak did you get yours resolved ? Thank you
Old 09-18-2023, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Same leak here and it is not the lower intake manifold gasket. Did the timing cover gasket replacement fix the leak? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak, timing cover?