Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Coolant leak, timing cover?

Old 11-18-2019, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak, timing cover?

I posted this up in the New Member thread, but figured it would get more attention if I posted in the Tech Thread. If anyone can help me out that would be great!!!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-...-cover-352370/
Old 11-18-2019, 06:32 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

You took good pics, but it's still hard to pinpoint. The block is cast iron. the engine front cover is aluminum, and the water pump (also aluminum) bolts to the front of the front engine cover. I'm thinking that you can clean the area and look closely as it is leaking, perhaps using a mirror + flashlight. As with all leaks, the flow is downward so follow the coolant trail upward to the source.

Last edited by Mr.T; 11-18-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
You took good pics, but it's still hard to pinpoint. The block is cast iron. the engine front cover is aluminum, and the water pump (also aluminum) bolts to the front of the front engine cover. I'm thinking that you can clean the area and look closely as it is leaking, perhaps using a mirror + flashlight. As with all leaks, the flow is downward so follow the coolant trail upward to the source.

Third pic is showing where exactly the leak is. Second and first pic are more for reference. I don’t know if that’s the coolant “in” coming from the pump through the timing/front engine cover or not. Because whenever I pour water into the reservoir, that spot tucked in between the cover and the block is where it pisses straight out. Kinda an unfortunate discovery when looking at it today.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:14 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

The lower rad hose near the oil filter is the inlet (suction side of the water pump). Might be the gasket, hopefully not a crack.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

The lower rad hose near the oil filter is the inlet (suction side of the water pump). Might be the gasket, hopefully not a crack.
Definitely not a hose. Does the timing cover gasket protect fluid from getting to the pump and block and back?
Old 11-18-2019, 08:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by rocker730
Definitely not a hose. Does the timing cover gasket protect fluid from getting to the pump and block and back?
The cover holds the water pump and directs the pump's discharge flow into the coolant passages in the block. Best to check the oil level or crack the oil drain plug, just in case there is coolant getting into the oil.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

The cover holds the water pump and directs the pump's discharge flow into the coolant passages in the block. Best to check the oil level or crack the oil drain plug, just in case there is coolant getting into the oil.

Zoom out (photo one driver side)

Photo 2 slight zoom in to get a better understanding of where exactly the leak is. Like I said, it looks like a mating face, (unless it’s a really bad crack) which is why I am wondering if coolant flows through the timing cover that all the accessories (pump, alternator, etc) are bolted onto.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Then when pouring fluid into the reservoir cap, this exact spot (circled in the 2 other reference pics) is where it streams. I just need to know what exactly this location is.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Then when pouring fluid into the reservoir cap, this exact spot (circled in the 2 other reference pics) is where it streams. I just need to know what exactly this location is.
Looks to me like it's close to where the engine block water jacket meets the front cover.
The following users liked this post:
rocker730 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Looks to me like it's close to where the engine block water jacket meets the front cover.
Propose solution? Gasket? 🤔

Quick Reply: Coolant leak, timing cover?