Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Coolant Leak or simply overflow?

Old 05-11-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak or simply overflow?

Fellow JKers,

I have 500 miles on my 07 4DR...I opened the hood today for the first time since driving outta the dealer and noticed PINK water splash marks (COOLANT, I’m guessing) all over the front axle, belts and even on the underside of the hood. It’s pretty much isolated around the coolant reservoir. My coolant level is normal, even a bit high, almost to the top of the lid. Is this cause they filled it too high and it leaked from the overflow or do I have a “take in to dealer issue”?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a leak where the rad. hose clamped to the lower block after 1 day of ownership. It stopped by itself. I think once the hose had some heat in it it allowed for a better seal (or I could be running it without fluid).
Old 05-11-2007, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the fluid level is too high. Mine was like this when I got it also. BUT, after having the level corrected, it continued to leak. Check the radiator overflow hose about 1/2" from the radiator side. My leak was there and it only showed up when the engine was hot. It appeared to be caused at the plant when the hose was installed. Dealer said that they had seen this a few times before. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks fellas...so what's the fix for this SKIBUM? A tighten of the clamp or hose replacement??
Old 05-11-2007, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverback
Thanks fellas...so what's the fix for this SKIBUM? A tighten of the clamp or hose replacement??
In my case, there was enough hose to shorten it and eliminate the pinhole leak. Didn't have to replace anything. For as small a leak as it was, it made a huge mess.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silverback
Fellow JKers,

I have 500 miles on my 07 4DR...I opened the hood today for the first time since driving outta the dealer and noticed PINK water splash marks (COOLANT, I’m guessing) all over the front axle, belts and even on the underside of the hood. It’s pretty much isolated around the coolant reservoir. My coolant level is normal, even a bit high, almost to the top of the lid. Is this cause they filled it too high and it leaked from the overflow or do I have a “take in to dealer issue”?

Thanks!

This sound exactly like the problem I have.

For a few weeks I thought the coolant was over-flowing from the reservoir and splashing all over. It turns out that my JK has a bad thermostat housing and is at the dealer right now. The thermostat housing is the plastic part on the block that the upper radiator hose clamps on to. The leak is small but its making a huge mess once it drips onto the belts and gets thrown over the engine compartment. The JK never overheated though.

Wipe off the coolant on your JK and see if it returns, if it does... just take it in! It's covered under warranty!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

My guess would be a leak. The overflow resovoir is more than capable of handling normal overflow, even if it has a little too much fluid in it. Also, if the engine is getting so hot as to cause excessive overflow, your check engine light would be on and your gauge would be on the high side of center - not a normal occurance in newer cars.

Four things are left - stuck thermastat - again, it would probably be running hot; leaky radiator - not likely unless you've been over some rough terain; loose clamp, and a leak. I'm surprised to hear so many people having leaky radiator fluid. If the hoses have pinholes in them, that would be odd. I usually don't worry about replacing old radiator hoses until well after 100,000 miles.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use duct tape. It's fixes everything.

No, don't do that. Install a new engine. If that doesn't work than urinate in the radiator...that will seal any leaks in the coolant system.

Yes, I'm bored at work today...on overtime.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak or simply overflow?