Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Coolant leak and p0218

Old 01-15-2021, 04:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I'm with Oscar on this one. This is a known issue back in the day. Nobody touches my cooling system but me, and the only thing that goes in is Mopar OAT. I would not trust using anything else myself, even the coolants that say they are 100% compatible with everything. It's just my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
Jay2013jk (01-15-2021), OscarMlke (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'm with Oscar on this one. This is a known issue back in the day. Nobody touches my cooling system but me, and the only thing that goes in is Mopar OAT. I would not trust using anything else myself, even the coolants that say they are 100% compatible with everything. It's just my opinion.
I am agreeing with you. But at that time, I was stuck and could not wait. I am going to get my system flushed. and put all new coolant in.
The following users liked this post:
OscarMlke (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

At the point of flushing completely, you can put anything in there you want. Maybe you want to put something in that is easier for you to access. For me, the dealers actually charge a reasonable amount for OAT coolant. I put Zerex in our other vehicles and dang, that stuff isn't much cheaper. It's still $17-18/gallon. I think I pay $23 for OAT concentrate at my local dealer. My only fear with flushing and then starting fresh with whatever you want is really being 100% positive ya got all the old stuff out.
The following users liked this post:
OscarMlke (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Thnx for all the complements.

The reason I found all this out is because we did a flush on our current 017. I did the flush way in advance or before the 100,000 things as Jeep/owners manual suggests. I did this because I kept getting a coolant small within the cabin. Taking the jeep to Valvoline, they are now using a "universal" coolant as @Kojack said.. I think for older jeeps you should use what ever you wat as long as you've flushed the system. I was going to use something different because some coolants (when heated) have different smells. only to learn that my reservoir was what was making the smell apparent. I've since reduced the coolant level in the reservoir (using a turkey baser) thus the smell has subsided. Also it doesn't hurt to place small hose clamps on hoses that do not have any, but be mindful not to over tightening these clamps on plastic connections. Plus one thing thats helped me is by replacing the factory radiator cap with a 18psi red tab cap.

@Kojack It's always a good idea to carry a few things in the jeep at all times. However if there comes a time when you don't have any coolant, use water instead of mixing. So it's common place for us to have a few things like extra coolant and tools in the jeep. In fact I've been ordering small parts replacements for some of the most common parts that tend to fail over the jeep's lifetime. Spare radiator cap, spare gas cap, a verity of sensors, fuses etc. if its a major repair, I'll leave that to the shop, but if it's something I can handle, I have the replacement in the jeep.

Last edited by OscarMlke; 01-15-2021 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OscarMlke
Thnx for all the complements.

The reason I found all this out is because we did a flush on our current 017. I did the flush way in advance or before the 100,000 things as Jeep/owners manual suggests. I did this because I kept getting a coolant small within the cabin. Taking the jeep to Valvoline, they are now using a "universal" coolant as @Kojack said.. I think for older jeeps you should use what ever you wat as long as you've flushed the system. I was going to use something different because some coolants (when heated) have different smells. only to learn that my reservoir was what was making the smell apparent. I've since reduced the coolant level in the reservoir (using a turkey baser) thus the smell has subsided. Also it doesn't hurt to place small hose clamps on hoses that do not have any, but be mindful not to over tightening these clamps on plastic connections. Plus one thing thats helped me is by replacing the factory radiator cap with a 18psi red tab cap.

@Kojack It's always a good idea to carry a few things in the jeep at all times. However if there comes a time when you don't have any coolant, use water instead of mixing. So it's common place for us to have a few things like extra coolant and tools in the jeep. In fact I've been ordering small parts replacements for some of the most common parts that tend to fail over the jeep's lifetime. Spare radiator cap, spare gas cap, a verity of sensors, fuses etc. if its a major repair, I'll leave that to the shop, but if it's something I can handle, I have the replacement in the jeep.
Yes, I am going to go that way too. Keep everything either in my shop or in the Jeep. I am flushing out all the old stuff and putting Amsoil coolant back in. I have 2 jugs now, so when I make my order I will be getting my extra oil, filter and trans fluids and some extra coolant and do the flush.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak and p0218