Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Coolant leak

Old 12-27-2020, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Hey guys,

I've been having coolant leaks the past few months, it's taking about a gallon a month but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. (Clean radiator, reservoir is good, pump looks clean, lines looked good.) Finally found a pool of coolant against the intake manifold on the driver's side. I couldn't find any exact hits on my searches but seems like the lower intake manifold gaskets might need replacing but I haven't seen anyone post about it pooling up right there. Any ideas on what else it could be or what it might cost to fix?

140k miles on an 07 JKU

Old 12-27-2020, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hairline crack, loose hose clamp or bad dry rotted gasket at the plastic hose thermostat housing located at the engine block. The puddle of coolant is where the coolant is collecting being blown back onto the manifold from this hairline crack. Replace the plastic thermostat housing, gasket and the thermostat.
The following 2 users liked this post by OscarMlke:
texxet (12-28-2020), Travis Patton (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Lower intake manifold gasket on that 3.8L is a common issue. Given the area of pooling, I suspect that is probably your culprit as you mention. I actually just dug up Rednroll's old links for another member/thread. This might be useful reading for you as well -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...e-area-343770/

DIY document -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CaL...REBtdtitO/view
The following users liked this post:
texxet (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 09:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OscarMlke
Hairline crack, loose hose clamp or bad dry rotted gasket at the plastic hose thermostat housing located at the engine block. The puddle of coolant is where the coolant is collecting being blown back onto the manifold from this hairline crack. Replace the plastic thermostat housing, gasket and the thermostat.
Sharp eye, yeah, you can see coolant running back from the Tstat housing. I would definitely address that first.
The following users liked this post:
texxet (12-31-2020)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got the thermostat off, looks pretty new and there wasn't anything around the housing itself. What's really concerning me now is that the hose going to the housing was empty and the level inside the engine was about an inch and a half below the thermostat itself. From what I've seen both of those should have been full which leads me to believe the leak is below this??

I'll try a new sensor right there, hopefully that's it... Looks gunked up...

Last edited by texxet; 01-01-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, the sensor does look pretty bad... New sensor, stat gasket and I would get a second hose clamp on the rad hose, and maybe even a new hose.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I chased a leak for a year and finally the hairline crack on the plastic thermostat housing exposed itself. Look very closely to this housing as I suspect this may be your problem.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you or the mechanic use Teflon tape on the sensor fitting or any other fitting added afterward? I'd reseat the sensor connection at the block.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak