Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Control arms

Old 04-04-2020, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control arms

Going to be installing a BDS 3” lift on my 2011 2door jk, been reading up a lot on keeping the factory control arms, any suggestions if I should replace them with new ones or keep the factory ones on, just worried about the tires being on center like factory measurements, would like to hear on some opinions Thanks
Old 04-04-2020, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

At that lift height, you will want Caster Correction. The lift comes with Cam Bolts (and keeps the stock control arms.) Cams don't have the best reputation, so many people choose to go with either CA Brackets (keeping the stock arms) or a new set of arms (longer/short 'fixed' arms, or adjustable arms). Totally up to you, they all have pro's/con's.

If you choose arms, a single set of lower arms will allow you to rotate the housing and fix the caster. (do some reading, as various mfg's with have different bends in the arms, and use different joints at the ends. Get an idea of what you are buying!!)) If you choose brackets, they not only fix the caster, but have the added benefit of helping with the new steep angles caused by lifting. If you choose to just use the Cams that came with the lift, they will do the job, but have been known to slip over time, especially if used offroad, so keep an eye on them!

just worried about the tires being on center like factory measurements
Just reread your post, and maybe you were talking about wheel-base and not caster? If you are talking about moving the axles forward/backward in the wheel wells, then yes, you will need all four sets of arms. At that height, nice to have but not mandatory. A single set of arms up front will take care of the caster, then a single set in the rear if you need to adjust the pinion. And be sure to check the pinch seam in the rear to see how close those tires get when stuffed.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-04-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default Control arrms

Thanks a lot for the information greatly appreciate it, if I do decide to go with the control arms do I go with the long or short I will be doing some reading on them
Old 04-04-2020, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

You're looking at short arms (or "mid" which is just adjustable short arms). You're not really high enough to deal with long arms. Look at the Metalcloak arms. They really aren't much more expensive than other offerings IMO, and are the bushings they use are nice. If you're running 35's, you could get away with just front arms. 37's is really the point of having to extend that rear axle again IMO.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all that info, if I go with the single set, can I just install the lower arms in the front and which ones would be the better option to install in the rear !!!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I wouldn't worry about the rear at all. adding single set is more about just adjusting caster up front. In the rear, the fact the drive shaft has CV joint on both ends makes it extremely forgiving. Arms for the rear are often about repositioning the axle, and again, that line in the sand seems to be 37" tires IMO. If you're a little tight on budget I'd just add font lowers and be set for now. That will allow you to push the bottom of the axle out just a touch, which will in turn lower the pinion (and increase caster). If you were going to buy 4 arms, I'd rather have a full set up front and factory in the rear, but that is just me.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Control arms

Thanks that was helpful, I think I’m going to have him put The 3 inch lift kit on for now and I think that kit comes with that cam washer I’ll give that a try if not I’ll just end up waiting and I’ll install the entire set afterwords if I’m not satisfied thanks a lot for your help, I kind of don’t understand still how the Cam Washer would work on those factory control arms that they send you in the Lift Kit,
Old 04-05-2020, 09:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

NOOOO, don't install cam bolts. Honestly, just throw those in the trash. In order to install cam bolts you have to knock out notches in the control arm mounts on the axle. I'd rather drive around with low caster than do that. after a 3" lift your caster will probably be around 2.9* vs. the 4.2* before the lift. It's not the end of the world, just far from ideal. better than installing cam bolts though IMOI
Old 04-05-2020, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, once you notch out bigger holes in those brackets, you will want to do something to correct it when you remove them and add the new arms. Do a quick search on Cam Bolt Eliminator. Basically just a set of thick washers, some people weld them in, others don't. But I would agree that if you know you are going to arms, don't set yourself up for the hassle of removing cams.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default Control arms

Hey thanks for all that information, that was very helpful I think I’m going to Bite the bullet and install the new control arms, I greatly appreciated all the technical help from all you guys, again a Million thanks

Quick Reply: Control arms