Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Continued Death Wobble

Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continued Death Wobble

So I an issue with a severe case of death wobble about 3 months ago. Purchased a new Steering Stabilizer and got it installed. Late last week, the wobble started up again. Climbed up underneath the Jeep and everything appears to be nice and tight and the stabilizer looks brand new still.

Any suggestions or experiences anyone can share?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

How many miles on your tires? And are they the goodyear wranglers? I had DW that started around 40,000 miles off and on until 70,000 miles. I purchased cragar rims and new tires and the problem is completely gone. The stock tires that come on JKs are garbage
Old 02-14-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

right now i have the duelers on there until i can come up with some money to upgrade the tires. roughly 40,000 miles on the tires.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you figure it out. DW is a huge headache.

In the meantime I also urge you to file a safety complaint here..

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
Old 02-14-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was told by a seasoned mechanic that the front suspension of the new JK is flawed. He personally changed 6 trac bars in JKs in the last year. He said that any # of things can cause DW. before I got my tires he said that (due to my mileage) the tires were probably the culprit, then if not, probably the trac bar or any such combo. He was right on. I got new Kumho All terrain tires and problem is gone. I tried to induce DW by hitting all the notorious bumps that caused it, train tracks, sewer covers etc, I cant even induce a slight shimmy. I am amazed that tires could cause such a violent shake!! My DW was so bad it would shake my jeep right out of gear!! (6spd) no kidding!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ktonrider
I was told by a seasoned mechanic that the front suspension of the new JK is flawed. He personally changed 6 trac bars in JKs in the last year. He said that any # of things can cause DW. before I got my tires he said that (due to my mileage) the tires were probably the culprit, then if not, probably the trac bar or any such combo. He was right on. I got new Kumho All terrain tires and problem is gone. I tried to induce DW by hitting all the notorious bumps that caused it, train tracks, sewer covers etc, I cant even induce a slight shimmy. I am amazed that tires could cause such a violent shake!! My DW was so bad it would shake my jeep right out of gear!! (6spd) no kidding!!!
I agree, there is a huge flaw in the JK. It is WAY to sensitive to DW. If anything wears the slightest bit, it can cause DW and that is unacceptable for a vehicle at this price let alone any new vehicle.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

How does a track bar have such an effect on DW?

Flash
Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ktonrider
How many miles on your tires? And are they the goodyear wranglers? I had DW that started around 40,000 miles off and on until 70,000 miles. I purchased cragar rims and new tires and the problem is completely gone. The stock tires that come on JKs are garbage
funny you mention this.. I must have got a decent set. While I had some DW for a lil bit.. it went away after I had everything checked out multiple times. My tires actually lasted a freaking 75K. A tire shop is actually offering to buy them from me. They are coming off tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default death wobble

I had the death wobble. CHecked everything for tightness and wear. I checked the ball joint by grabbing top and bottom and there was no movement. Then I put a pry bar under the tire and pried up. You could see a SLIGHT movement in the ball joints. Replaced them and no more death wobble. If you replace your ball joints, don't skimp on them and put factory equivelents. Spend $600.00 and get the best.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
funny you mention this.. I must have got a decent set. While I had some DW for a lil bit.. it went away after I had everything checked out multiple times. My tires actually lasted a freaking 75K. A tire shop is actually offering to buy them from me. They are coming off tomorrow.
As bad as my Goodyears were for the DW mine lasted 75,000, lol I'll tell you though, I cant get over how much better my new tires are in terms of dry, rain and snow driving And NO WOBBLE!!

Quick Reply: Continued Death Wobble