Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Confused! help needed infomation.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused! help needed infomation.

Hello all. a little perplexed I have a 2010 Mountain Edition JKU. I have sway bar disconect, I understand that. I have rear only Axle-lock (tru-lok). Firstly, what does axle lock do? Secondly, how do i know if I've got "TRAC-LOC". Thirdly, having Axle-lock, do I need to add the aditive to the diff oil ? Finally, can some one explain the best use of axle lock and when? I thought it was similar to diff lock??????? Many thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Tru-lok is a selectable locker.
Trac-lok is a limited slip.

If you have one, you can't have the other in the same axle.

The electric locker will have a switch on the lower center panel (just behind the shift lever) to turn it on/off. The limited slip is automatic. No switches, no on/off, it is always working.

With an open diff (no locker/limited), all of the power will generally go to only one wheel on the axle. Get one tire on ice and the other on dry pavement - the tire on the ice will spin, the tire on pavement gets no power, and you don't move forward.

Add a limited slip, and 'some' of the power gets transferred to the tire that is on pavement. The numbers vary, but maybe 70-80% of the power goes to the tire on ice, and maybe 20-30% goes to the tire on pavement. This should be enough power to the tire with traction to get you moving.

Add a locker, and the power is split somewhat evenly across both tires. So the tire on ice gets half the power, and the tire on pavement gets half, and you have no issues driving forward. (depending on which locker? Might be a 50/50 split, might be slightly different?)

BLD Brake Lock Differential is the computer performing the functions of a limited slip. It adds a little brake pressure to the spinning tire to transfer some portion of the power to the one with traction. I don't recall seeing any specs on what amount is transferred, but since they add limited slips from the factory, my guess is that it isn't much.

The factory limited uses clutches. Clutches tend to wear out and become ineffective. If you lift tires offroad and spin, they will wear out faster. So while they do add traction, they aren't the best option for an offroad vehicle. (the clutches will need a friction additive in the oil - your owners manual states this).

As far as when to use the locker? Any time you want more traction...

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-25-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Axel lock you use it to get over obstacles but you don't run it all the time I run royal purple in mind it already has the additive in it .
Old 08-02-2013, 12:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Gents for the info. All clear to me now. I will be doing my diff servce in the next couple of weeks, thanks to the help received here. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Confused! help needed infomation.