Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cold Manual Transmission Slips Out of Gear

Old 12-14-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Manual Transmission Slips Out of Gear

Hello,

When the temperatures have been dipping into 30's and lower and the Jeep is sitting outside all day, the manual transmission on my 2011 JKU R has been slipping out of gear mid drive.

I haven't exactly been able to replicate every occurrence, but I now have my finger on the pulse of one of the situations.

I could go start a cold engine, clutch fully pressed, without moving the vehicle, put the gear shift into 4th, let go of shifter, keep clutch fully pressed, the gear shifter will immediately begin sliding out of gear and into neutral. I can do this over and over again to a cold engine. (not much research past the 15 minute drives I make.)

Otherwise, it has slipped out of 2nd, 3rd and 4th while driving.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a TSB for it,

I had it done on mine last spring it was very frustrating before, they had to replace the inner and outer shifter boot.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxian
There is a TSB for it,

I had it done on mine last spring it was very frustrating before, they had to replace the inner and outer shifter boot.
That is the most likely cause. I had the same problem on my '88 XJ, years ago. Jeep came out with a more flexible boot. It never did it again, even when it would get to -30°F.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That is the most likely cause. I had the same problem on my '88 XJ, years ago. Jeep came out with a more flexible boot. It never did it again, even when it would get to -30°F.
x2, mines been good down to -20C so far.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup, inner shift boot 9 times out of 10.
Go see your dealer.

Quick Reply: Cold Manual Transmission Slips Out of Gear