Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Code question

Old 02-01-2015, 04:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Took that info out to mine that was showing only a P0456 code and equipped with the stock locking gas cap. Noticed filler neck surface that mates to the cap O-ring was sort of nicked/scratched a bit and had some type of oily film/dirt on it. So went back out with some Scotch Brite pad and cleaned that all up. Then I removed the cap O-ring and rolled it over to use the opposite face. Used a Q-Tip to lightly apply the Vaseline and closed her up. No I didn't try to clear the code manually I just figured if it's cured the CEL will disappear after enough run cycles. NOT Well after a few weeks I took her in to my mechanic for an oil change and asked him to check out system for any other source of the code. He only found a different code that was the one for a bad rear oxygen sensor-I think he said P1*** something. Replaced sensor and now no codes at all. Wondering now if the cap work I did fixed the original code and just by coincidence that second code popped up in the month or so from the time I got the original code to when I finally got around to doing the cap cleanup.
be careful using Vaseline. There are some rubber products that are attacked by it and degrade over time. A safer product is pure silicone grease. All pool supply stores carry it.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:41 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The second code for the O2 sensor may also have been a P01** something, in reference to my previous post.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful using Vaseline. Not going there Especially when talking about rubbers...
Long or short. Thick or thin. Vaseli....

Sorry just had to at this time of morning. Now back to the subject at hand everyone....

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 02-13-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Code question