Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch in water question

Old 11-07-2009, 04:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
How about just staying away from deep water, that's a thought.
aww, c'mon! where's ur sense of adventure? I mean, how many times do people ask us Jeepers, in response to our off roading trip stories, ''why?''

On this trail in the vid, there was no legal way around the water.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=konN6OL...ient=mv-google
Old 11-07-2009, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sense of adventure is on the rocks, 99% of the time. I just can't fathom spending so much money to repair the rig if you burn up the clutch while fording or even wrose, hydrolock. Trust me, there's a lot more sense of adventure, and accomplishment, when you're rock crawling. Plus, it's more "white knuckling", when you're rig does a hand stand or feels like it's about to flop. That's what get's me going...

But, to each their own. Purely my opinion. I guess if you have an auto, go for it, one less thing to worry about. I don't, and never will, why the rocks are my playground.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
But, to each their own...
I hear that! I actually like it all, in the right amounts! rocks are fun but not 100%. water is cool of it's not sandy (ie, pine barrens) or so deep that it causes damage. mud is fun but the clean up can be a bear. I'd love to wheel out West. those pics look amazing. butout East coast woods are pretty, peaceful & fun. I like the tight manuevers required.

it's all good.

oh, and I went Auto because of the mud/water & hill climbing conditions here. if I was pure rock crawler, I'd agree 100% about the manual tranny. but I watched many an expensive rig wipe clutches in mud! plus, the auto tranny is 100% covered by my lifetime warranty. clutches ain't.

this all makes me want to organize a LI JK run next Spring!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Don't go in deep water with a 6-speed

Here's one of the reasons, and there are many others in this forum

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/central-canada-58/jeep-swim-106350/
Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't plan on going on deep water, but would still like to know how to handle it in case the situation comes up.

Ah heck you guys are right... we should stop teaching pilots emergency situation procedures too, and just tell them "don't crash" instead.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

hate to highjack but u said if you have an auto its ok why is that??
and hydrolock? whats that??

sry if tose are dumb questions im only 16.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mulletmanjeeper

hydrolock can occur when you suck water into your engine (through the air intake, usually). it basically cause your engine to seize... or LOCK due to water (hydro).

theres no clutch pedal on an auto, so theres no way you will mistakenly push the clutch in when crossing deep water. pushing the clutch in while its under water will cause headaches.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mulletmanjeeper

Never a dumb question.....

Automatic...you can switch gears in water and mud....makes it much nicier if you get in ooops I am stuck situations...unlike us manual guys

Hydrolock....is where water enters your Airbox & intake tube and your motor sucks in water as you have gone to deep and locks up the motor = no very good and lots of $$$.

If you play in deep water don't go over the Stock fender flares...this is where water can start entering your stock airbox. If you are planning on playing in deep water...invest in a Snorkel. Just open your hood and see where the air enters the box....have a mental picture of this when you are crossing water next time...to avoid the dreaded hydrolock.

Also, beware of deep water as your differential breather tubes are lower than your stock airbox. If you go in deep water and have not extended your diff. breather tubes you will more than likely have water in the diffs and will require a fluid change out which is very simply and painless.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ECHO
Did the Snorkel, never considered the Diff Breathers.. need to do that .. Thanks for adding that to this thread.. very helpful
I learned after I got home from deep water crossings....chocolate milk basically in the diff's.

ECHO....I still have to check to see about extending the transfer case and manual tranny breather tubes..not sure if there is a write-up on this forum...time to search it out.

Also, I added a AEV snorkel to my mod list after seeing your JK looking awesome as usual!...Thanks....my wallet is so damn light and empty
Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Approx at what depth does it become unsafe to use the clutch ?

Thanks
RLT

Quick Reply: Clutch in water question