Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch in water question

Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch in water question

Ok, this is probably a newbie-type question, but my wrenching background is motorcycles, which have totally different clutch systems...

When preparing for water crossings, we extend our breather hoses on the diffs, tranny and transfer case, but why is nothing done to protect the clutch to allow shifting while fording?
Isn't there a way to cover or relocate the clutch venting to a higher spot?

Again, I don't really know how auto clutches are setup, so maybe there is an obvious answer to this. I just need some enlightenment.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Nope, no way to seal the clutch to keep the water out. With a clutch, either stay out of deep water (my suggestion after toasting a TOB and pilot bushing the last time I did it), or don't shift.

This is a pretty cool read of the old military CJs and water fording.

Last edited by SCF; 11-06-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Follow-up question

Ok, so say I'm in water in 4-low, moving in 3rd gear or something, and need to downshift to go much slower or creep along for some reason...

The JK will start without the clutch in 4-low. So can I shut it off, change to 1st or 2nd gear without the clutch, then restart and continue on my way? Or will I be unable to restart because water has entered the muffler while the engine was stopped?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by horwitzs
Ok, so say I'm in water in 4-low, moving in 3rd gear or something, and need to downshift to go much slower or creep along for some reason...

The JK will start without the clutch in 4-low. So can I shut it off, change to 1st or 2nd gear without the clutch, then restart and continue on my way? Or will I be unable to restart because water has entered the muffler while the engine was stopped?
My suggestion would be to go into water in 1st gear in 4-low. There shouldn't be any reason to need to go any faster than that in deep water (as going faster tends to cause waves and bad things to happen). I have had a lot of success in 1st and 4-low during water crossings. Granted when I felt like I was going to get stuck I have bounced off my redline during parts of many crossings, but why else have a red-line if you aren't going to use it 4-low and 1st should still also allow you to go fast enough to keep up the momentum to not get stuck in the mud if its a deep water/mud crossing. Remember slow and steady wins the race
Old 11-06-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tpm152
My suggestion would be to go into water in 1st gear in 4-low. There shouldn't be any reason to need to go any faster than that in deep water (as going faster tends to cause waves and bad things to happen). I have had a lot of success in 1st and 4-low during water crossings. Granted when I felt like I was going to get stuck I have bounced off my redline during parts of many crossings, but why else have a red-line if you aren't going to use it 4-low and 1st should still also allow you to go fast enough to keep up the momentum to not get stuck in the mud if its a deep water/mud crossing. Remember slow and steady wins the race
I am kinda the same 4LO...either 1st gear in muddy crossing with soupy mud. With gravel bottom rivers/crossings 2nd gear works out great. If you stall in 2nd gear just throw it into 1st gear and start it up without the clutch if in 4LO.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I am kinda the same 4LO...either 1st gear in muddy crossing with soupy mud. With gravel bottom rivers/crossings 2nd gear works out great. If you stall in 2nd gear just throw it into 1st gear and start it up without the clutch if in 4LO.
I don't want to sound dumb here as I've had my JK a year now & thought I knew my Jeep's features pretty well.

So you can start the JK in gear if in 4Low? I certainly know that in 4High or 2High you need to depress the clutch first to activate the starter; or are you saying that depressing the clutch when the motor's off won't risk clutch damage if the tranny's submerged?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Yep, in 4-low you can start without depressing the clutch.
The ratio is low enough that the starter can fire the engine and get the wheels rolling a bit and on your way.

You don't want to press the clutch while under water, regardless of motor running or not. It will suck water in.

Last edited by horwitzs; 11-06-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by horwitzs
Yep, in 4-low you can start without depressing the clutch.
The ratio is low enough that the starter can fire the engine and get the wheels rolling a bit and on your way.

You don't want to press the clutch while under water, regardless of motor running or not. It will suck water in.
Cheers for the info! I always thought it was a bit wierd that an off-roader couldn't be turned over in gear, considering this feature is essential in some situations. I'll have to go out now & try it...
Old 11-07-2009, 03:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow! cool article on military CJs. they eventually got those jeeps to be able to ford 74'' of water! now THAT'S water fording!

and for clutches, they used positive crankcase pressure to pressurize engine & eventually bellhousing. driver had to insert a drain plug at the bottom of bellhousing before water crossing. ... and put ob his bathing suit I guess!!!

BTW, there are many books, manuals, & web sites that tell us techniques for off roading, like how to use the started to get over rocks insteat of riding clutches & tips like that. I'd suggest reading them. Mark Smith from jeep jamboree fame has one they give out with each jamboree registration. that was a good read. even the owners manual has good tips.

enjoy!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 AM
JK Junkie

How about just staying away from deep water, that's a thought.

Quick Reply: Clutch in water question