Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch pedal return spring broken

Old 05-02-2018, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal return spring broken

Is this a big deal? Concerned that this will put stress on the "functional" component of the assembly... My understanding is that this is a "return" spring as opposed to "assist". The spring provides some resistance and pushes back against the drivers foot operating the clutch pedal. Is this correct?
The pedal is now just dangling when not "in use". I can wiggle the pedal from side to side (dangle it, like something else I own...). Is the spring meant to prevent this dangling?
I cannot find a diagram, so I cant find parts. What I did find is that the spring may be the cause of some squeaking issues.

In the image, the red circle is the spring in question. My concern is with the hydraulic(??) component circled in blue... is it gonna break?
2014 JKU
Thanks for your time.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems useless

Originally Posted by saiyan slayr915
Is this a big deal? Concerned that this will put stress on the "functional" component of the assembly... My understanding is that this is a "return" spring as opposed to "assist". The spring provides some resistance and pushes back against the drivers foot operating the clutch pedal. Is this correct?
The pedal is now just dangling when not "in use". I can wiggle the pedal from side to side (dangle it, like something else I own...). Is the spring meant to prevent this dangling?
I cannot find a diagram, so I cant find parts. What I did find is that the spring may be the cause of some squeaking issues.

In the image, the red circle is the spring in question. My concern is with the hydraulic(??) component circled in blue... is it gonna break?
2014 JKU
Thanks for your time.
exactly the same spring broke on my JK few weeks ago and for what I noticed it shouldn’t affect anything but pedal wiggling a little at rest position.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

It may allow the throwout bearing to ride more on the clutch pressure plate fingers. This will cause faster wear on the bearing which needs transmission removal to repair. I personally would get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal return spring broken