Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

clutch makes clicking noise

Old 03-19-2011, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue

I have the same issue and have noticed that the noise becomes louder over time / as the parts warm up? Any ideas...
Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Mine made that noise for a over a year. It was a rattling kind of sound that you could hear right at 2500 RPM. It would also sometimes do it if I had been driving for a while, put it in neutral, and let the clutch out (it was like a ticking sound that went away if you messed with barely pressing the clutch pedal down). It finally started making that noise constantly, followed by some mean sounding metal-on-metal. I just got a new clutch this week and no more noise.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tickin when pressing the pedal in and out is the slave cyliner on the side of the tranny housing. I got under the jeep and had my gf press the clutch in and out. You can see it moving. The part is bout $80

Last edited by Chris333; 03-19-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ticking that goes away when you barely push the clutch in is the throwout bearing. I've had that issue also.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default wow!

I'm pretty sure that I'm having the same issue ,, I have 2011 sport. 1300miles

I thought its started after i went throw a pretty deep mud puddle.. but that's really when i started listening to every little thing .. I know that i have mud under my jeep , how much do you think this will be a problem..

it only really does it when its warmed up a little...
Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had the ticking on my '11 Rubicon around 3k miles. The ticking was pretty loud... Barely pressing the clutch made it go away. Dealer replaced the throwout bearing at about 4k when I brought it in. I found this issue in another thread and was able to feel confident taking it in as to what to expect. Had to speak with the shop foreman to diagnose it.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Clutch clickin when engaging and disengaging

Originally Posted by MMO blk JK
for all the 6 speeds out there; has anyone noticed a clicking noise while engaging the clutch? When I slowly stick the clutch in I can hear a "click click click" I noticed it today when I had the doors off. Also I can feel it in the clutch peddle but just barely. It does it when the Jeep is both on and off. I'm gonna try and take it in under warranty but I wanted to check if anyone has experienced this before and maybe a little heads up before I get to the dealership.

Thanks to everyone in advanced
my 2013 jeep wrangler sahara is doin this exact thing to. Doesnt effect the way i drive but i can really notice it.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LincolnSmith
my 2013 jeep wrangler sahara is doin this exact thing to. Doesnt effect the way i drive but i can really notice it.
If it is a rhythmic ticking matching the engine rpm that goes away if you touch the clutch peddle, then it is the TOB, they are known to be noisy, mine has been doing it for about 117,000 miles.

If it is a squealing clicking noise that matches the RPM while you have the clutch peddle all the way down, then your TOB is going and needs to be replaced.

If it is a squeak/click that happens when you move the peddle in and out whether the Jeep is running or not, then it is the slave cylinder, and all three slaves cylinders I have had on my 2013 have done it. Some say there isn't enough grease on the end of it where it engages the clutch fork, but I greased the $h!t out of the last one I put in and it made no difference, also it is a pain to remove and put back in, so I just live with it.

Happy Jeeping!

Last edited by tjkamp; 12-22-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:59 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

The clutch disc center wore out and became loose on mine, for pics see: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...5/#post4321526

Quick Reply: clutch makes clicking noise