Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch issue, can't shift into gear

Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clutch issue, can't shift into gear

Apologies to all as I am new to this forum.

This morning as I was driving I noticed there was very little pressure in my clutch as I started it and was driving to work (takes 30 minutes) as I was pulling into the parking lot, I noticed almost no pressure in the clutch and it got harder and harder to shift into gear. Parked, turned it off, was able to move my shifter into any gear. Turned it back on, no pressure in clutch, couldn't put it into gear.

Right now, it's sitting in the parking lot. I noticed a spot underneath the transfer case/transmission, I couldn't really get a good look and I am not so mechanically inclined when it comes to cars, but not sure if it is from my Jeep.

Any idea what it might be and what I can do about it?

Is it a hydraulic issue? Had to replace the clutch and trans at 60,000 miles. The dealer couldn't tell me what was wrong with the trans, but the clutch had worn out with all my city driving.

My current odometer reading is about 106,000.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your slave cylinder needs to be replaced.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 PM
JK Newbie

I'm having the same issues,I was at work when it happened,I usually have mine in gear when I start it up,and when I did this one time at work it like tried to forward,and seemed like it was stalling out.so this past week I jus swapped out the slave cylinder thinking it has failed and bled it for two days and it still won't go into gear.any thoughts on what else it could be? I'm about to tow it to a mechanic cause I'm stumped.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by faljones07
I'm having the same issues,I was at work when it happened,I usually have mine in gear when I start it up,and when I did this one time at work it like tried to forward,and seemed like it was stalling out.so this past week I jus swapped out the slave cylinder thinking it has failed and bled it for two days and it still won't go into gear.any thoughts on what else it could be? I'm about to tow it to a mechanic cause I'm stumped.
It could be the clutch master cylinder. I did a clutch on a car it was good for a week then it started having that problem, I change the slave when I did the clutch so I know that was not the problem. So I put a new master in it and everything work after that. I took the master apart and the seals were worn out.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

As what everybody else said. Change out your master and slave. And make sure you check your brake fluid. Both clutch and brakes run off the same tank. Odd I know. The slave is black and mounted on the side of the trany. The master is also black and between the master brake and the fender. Had mine go out and the dealer is the only place to get them last time I checked. I don't know how easy they are to replace or to bleed, I was on a road trip when mine went out. It looks quite easy and I'm sure somebody has a write up on them. Again. First check the brake fluid then refill and bleed or find out where it is leaking. If it is leaking it should not be the clutch. If its under warenty then take it back. It is a " internaly lubercated part" if you want to really split hairs.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree on changing the master and slave. Doing them as a pair is best practice is my opinion.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same thing happen a couple months ago.could get it in any gear until I turned jeep off. I changed slave and master cylinder, and put new clutch in and problem was solved.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Do I have to buy as a pair (both master and slave) or can I just buy the master cyl? I just put a new slave in. Is the dealership the only place to get it from?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Do I have to buy as a pair (both master and slave) or can I just buy the master cyl? I just put a new slave in. Is the dealership the only place to get it from?
If you can afford the pair, I'd do that. Easier to plug and play IMO if it comes filled.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Im currently trying to fix mine I’m having the exact same problem and mine is stalling when starting in a gear as well I’ve replaced bot master and slave cylinder and bled them both but still nothing. what was the issue?

Quick Reply: Clutch issue, can't shift into gear