Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch help??

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch help??

I think I blew my clutch, I think.

While wheeling this weekend I was in 4LO 1st gear (6 speed) descending a steep hill. While descending a group of kids on ATVs came flying across the bottom of the trail and the spotter waved for me to slow down. The spotter checked the cross trail and waved me through. I let in the clutch in and planned to coast the remaining 20-30 feet to the crossing where the hill leveled out. As I accelerated there was a whir then a pop and something smelled hot. At the bottom I pulled over and we had lunch. Afterwards there was a high pitch whine, but everything seemed to work.

Shortly there after we were driving on the main road between trails and I shifted to 2HI put the jeep in first and rolled backwards down the hill. At this point there was smoke. I turned my jeep off and we let it sit. I was able to limp home to the campsite after the jeep cooled, but very slowly.

At first I could use 2HI 1,2 and 3 up to 2000 rpms. Above that the engine wasn't transferring power to the wheels. My rpms shot up like I was in neutral revving. By the time I got to the campsite I had to use 4LO to move. Both 2HI and 4HI the engine revved and went no where.

I trailered the jeep home and need to get it fixed as it is my daily driver. My other concern is I recently had 5.38s installed. I broke them in very gently over 500 miles before I did any wheeling or driving in 4LO for that matter. I haven't towed with my jeep since the gear install either. My questions are as follows:

1). Is the problem the clutch and will a new one fixed it?

2). Could this be related to my new gears?

3). Any hope of warranty work from chrysler since the jeep has 13,000 miles, but is lifted on 37s.

We also got pulled over at 2am because the rented trailer shorted and we had no lights and all of this happened 4 hours away with my 9 month pregnant wife (she's not happy to say the least).

Thanks in advance

BP
Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First yes a new clutch and the hardware that goes with it will fix it. You might need to replace the flywheel also if it has burnt spots on it.
Second don't see how the new gears could have caused it since those gears should be very easy on a clutch.
Third it would be a rare thing to see a clutch warrantied even on a bone stock vehicle.

After you get the new clutch remember two things, if you are sitting still don't ride the clutch put it in neutral and if you are going to coast down a hill, which is not a good idea, then put it in neutral and don't ride the clutch.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch is considered a "wear item" and typically will not be covered under factory warranty.

I have heard of JK clutches going out after a few thousand miles and some that have not worn out in 100k miles. It mostly depends on the operator...everyone uses it differently. My 09 6-speed has a little over 60k miles on it and I have had zero clutch issues.

When my clutch goes it will be replaced with either a SPEC or Centerforce
Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by genesbro
First yes a new clutch and the hardware that goes with it will fix it. You might need to replace the flywheel also if it has burnt spots on it.
Second don't see how the new gears could have caused it since those gears should be very easy on a clutch.
Third it would be a rare thing to see a clutch warrantied even on a bone stock vehicle.

After you get the new clutch remember two things, if you are sitting still don't ride the clutch put it in neutral and if you are going to coast down a hill, which is not a good idea, then put it in neutral and don't ride the clutch.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't ride the clutch when stopped and when I rolled down the hill the clutch was out (ie the pedal was on the floor) the whole time and it should have been in neutral.

I will certainly be more careful in the future, but why did it happen?? Did I have a bad clutch or was it rolling down the hill. In previous jeeps I have been able to roll without a problem. Is it different in a JK compared to say a YJ? I just want to understand so I can avoid this in the future.

Thanks again everyone.

BP

Last edited by BadPunkin; 10-09-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You guys have any idea how much the clutch will cost? And installation??
One of the guys we were wheeling with has replaced his and was quoted $1500.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Jem
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BadPunkin

Wow... Thats insane! Glad i dont pay for people to do that stuff...
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BadPunkin
I would think about half of that or a little more.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cutter4292

I would think about half of that or a little more.
Just got my own quote. $1200 if they don't have to machine the flywheel.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oriellys will turn them fir 20$
Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

After I got my quote I read up on what it took to replace it myself and it really wasn't that difficult to replace. It is definetly something you can do. As long as the all the skid bolts aren't siezed or banged up too bad and if you have an extra set of hands you should be able to replace it in a weekend.

Quick Reply: Clutch help??