Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch does not engage - Vehicle won't move

Old 08-04-2023, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch does not engage - Vehicle won't move

I thought that my slave cylinder was leaking fluid and removed it from the bell housing to inspect. The slave cylinder is fine. After replacing the slave cylinder the clutch does not seem to engage (just bolted it back to the bellhousing). I never opened the hydraulics of the slave cylinder.

Specifically, I start the car, put the Jeep in gear, and let out the clutch, but the vehicle does not move. It is like the vehicle is in Neutral or the Tcase is not engaged. I did not open the hydraulic lines in the slave cylinder. It seems like the fork/bearing stuck in the released position. I'd love to fix this without dropping the transmission!

Any idea what could cause this?
Old 08-06-2023, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

Hi, got a question - does it move (roll) not started in gear or have you attempted to bump with it in gear using the starter.. BE CAREFUL TO NOT HIT Anything.. If it jumps and moves the clutch is engaged. This will be the tell tale on what is going on with the clutch
The following users liked this post:
J.bgood318 (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Hi, got a question - does it move (roll) not started in gear or have you attempted to bump with it in gear using the starter.. BE CAREFUL TO NOT HIT Anything.. If it jumps and moves the clutch is engaged. This will be the tell tale on what is going on with the clutch
I'm having the same problem, new slave over extended and blows the seals and in gear it rolls whenn i bump it...what does this mean about the clutch?
Old 08-07-2023, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I figured it out. It would not move regardless of whether it was in gear. I must have somehow knocked the transfer case into neutral when I pulled the slave cylinder. After posting this I went and looked again and realized that the TCase lever wasn't all the way in gear. Pushed it back into gear and all is good! I feel a bit dumb, but at least I have it fixed now.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

VTEEDan.. Thanks for posting the update.. Your persistence paid off and your posting the findings will be a help for others.

Quick Reply: Clutch does not engage - Vehicle won't move