Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clunking / Clanking when accelerating from a dead stop with tourqed to spec suspensio

Old 08-11-2021, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking / Clanking when accelerating from a dead stop with tourqed to spec suspensio

2016 jeep jku sahara 91,xxx milesWhen accelerating from a dead stop I get a loud clank clunk noise since I bought it with 50,xxx miles.

Took to jeep dealer they retourqed every suspension bolt still did it.

I ended up lifting it 2.5" with a Rubicon express lift with their adjustable front lower control arms. Still makes that noise.

Took back to dealer retourqed everything again still makes that noise.

Today: changed drag link and front tie rods. Still makes the noise.

I'm getting pissed at this thing now. I don't know what the hell it could be.

Driveshafts have no play, ujoints are good, pulled out the jack for spare tire, changed the muffler so that heat shield fix isn't my problem, bolts are torqued to spec and it still makes the noise.

Please help!!! Wife is driving me crazy lol
​​​​​​
Old 08-11-2021, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Welcome to JKF. Can you pinpoint the general location of the noise, front/back driver/passenger? Is it a single loud clank when starting to move forward? Gearing is factory still? Does it matter if acceleration is in straight line or turning? Only happens from a dead stop? Happens both in 2WD and 4WD? Any chance you can capture this noise on video, post to YouTube and then put a link here (easiest way to embed videos here on the site)? Only happens from a dead stop?
Old 08-11-2021, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Welcome to JKF. Can you pinpoint the general location of the noise, front/back driver/passenger? Is it a single loud clank when starting to move forward? Gearing is factory still? Does it matter if acceleration is in straight line or turning? Only happens from a dead stop? Happens both in 2WD and 4WD? Any chance you can capture this noise on video, post to YouTube and then put a link here (easiest way to embed videos here on the site)? Only happens from a dead stop?
To me it sounds like the back. it has stock gearing. It's a single loud clank. Not while turning not while slowing down, only on harder acceleration from a dead stop, if I ease into it, it won't do it but that's at like grandma take off speed. I changed tie rod and drag link because they had alot of play Which I though they were banging into the knuckle. But not the case. I will try to get a video.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I had a similar clank. I replaced brake pads in the rear and drained and refilled the rear differential and the noise went away. I'm not sure which thing made it go away.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If it's only happening from a dead stop and not from a real slow roll followed by hard acceleration, then I think Rob brings up a good point with brakes. That is one thing that would be different between those two situations. At a dead stop those pads and calipers are clamped down on the rotor whereas a slow roll things are not. I always try to pin down every situation a sound is happening or not and then apply some logical thinking as to what the differences are between those positive and negative results.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
If it's only happening from a dead stop and not from a real slow roll followed by hard acceleration, then I think Rob brings up a good point with brakes. That is one thing that would be different between those two situations. At a dead stop those pads and calipers are clamped down on the rotor whereas a slow roll things are not. I always try to pin down every situation a sound is happening or not and then apply some logical thinking as to what the differences are between those positive and negative results.
Sadly I've done front and rear brakes as well. I have read somewhere something happens to the ebrake? Could that be something loose Clanking
Old 09-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Not the safest, but can you block the wheels and make it do it, have someone lay down beside while you make it clunk and listen
Old 09-05-2021, 10:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by AmoneyJK
... I will try to get a video.
Since it sounds like you have no problem reproducing this noise, if you can come up with a GoPro on a magnetic base, mount it in several different paces to isolate where the noise is coming from. I'd probably point it at a different corner of the vehicle four times, aimed outward so other corners are not as loudly recorded. The GoPros have pretty good stereo recording, which could help isolate where the noise is coming from. Once you have at least a corner, then start poking around looking for what might be causing it. Along with pushing, pulling and otherwise shoving obvious joints, etc, that could be hiding worn bushings, etc, check for unusual rub markings that suggest some parts are coming into contact that shouldn't be. I've seen worn bushings in swaybar links and in control arms, and an exhaust line coming into contact with a swaybar cause clunking noises. One last thing to check is the spring on the rear axle passenger side. Is it bowed and maybe making contact with the trackbar? This is common with lifts where the spring perch has not been moved to accommodate the axle rotation from the lift. On my Wrangler (also on a 2.5" lift), I have a wedge on the rear axle perches to compensate for that rotation.
The following users liked this post:
Dat (09-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Clunking / Clanking when accelerating from a dead stop with tourqed to spec suspensio