Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clunk - Going from Reverse to Forward?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This clunk can also be a symptom of a worn/faulty U-joint on the driveshaft, probably the rear in this case. The driveshaft clunks because the joint has play when the direction of rotation is changed, otherwise it is always "shifted" towards one side and you don't get the clunk.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spinlock
This clunk can also be a symptom of a worn/faulty U-joint on the driveshaft, probably the rear in this case. The driveshaft clunks because the joint has play when the direction of rotation is changed, otherwise it is always "shifted" towards one side and you don't get the clunk.
I hear you on this, but this wasn't my case, as it did the noise with the new drive shafts as well....my noise was definitely comming from within the rear diff....you could feel it when you grab the dif, and with your ear right on the diff, it confirmed to be the source of the problem.....but like I posted yesterday, this would be a Rubicon specific problem only.....mine is all better now
Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine makes this noise too!!! But its only when I press the in the clutch when im in reverse or low rpm 1st!!! I was thinkning more of a broken motor mount!!! Mine only has 1400 miles on it lol
Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK719357
Mine makes this noise too!!! But its only when I press the in the clutch when im in reverse or low rpm 1st!!! I was thinkning more of a broken motor mount!!! Mine only has 1400 miles on it lol
Try shutting the rig off but leave it in gear....grab the rear tire (on flat surface) and manually move the JK back and forth.....does it make any noises? clunks? mine did...then I was able to get underneath, grab the axle hand on the diff and again move it back and forth, and then could feel/hear the noise from within the pumpkin.... good luck...obviously warrantee it if you can....
Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

My 09 Rubicon, automatic is doing this as well. I just had my first oil change so, not many miles on this rig. It doesn't happen all the time, but, one time that I know I've heard it multiple times is when I'm coming up on a red light and ALMOST stopped before it goes green.

I just thought it was part of the shifting at low rpm. But, I've also heard it during backing out of a parking spot and then going.

I'm going to contact my dealer that there is alot of chatter about this on the forums.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

any one else getting this. i think i am, and its usually when car is colder, pulling backwards then shifting to first, or making a turn at a stop sign....

want to see feed back, see if it's just a jeep thing, or what not,

can someone post some easy ways to check various things....

6 spd sahara 4 door, 2010 21500 miles...
Old 07-14-2012, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

MY 08 was doing the same thing. I assumed it was brakes or suspension problem not something internal as the drive shaft is fine. I redid the brakes and checked suspension stuff tightened everything and the problem did not go away. I even had replaced the calipers as there was some sticking. So I just lived with it.

Long story short the rear brakes wore out again and this time the rotors were shot after taking the rotors off and getting all the crap that had built up on the parking brake pads and getting that stuff all readjusted guess what the noise was gone.

In my case I determined it was a combination of corrosion inside the parking brake system along with bits of mud and accumulated stuff that had worked itself inside the inner drum from trails.

Mine no longer does it, so I suggest pulling the complete brake system in the rear apart and cleaning and adjusting the parking breaks.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Old thread.. I've got the same symptoms. Backing out of parking spot or garage and then going into drive a loud clunk from the rear (maybe two pops is a good description).

It's in the shop now, they are telling me rear differential. We'll see....
Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rlantos
Old thread.. I've got the same symptoms. Backing out of parking spot or garage and then going into drive a loud clunk from the rear (maybe two pops is a good description).

Would love to hear what they find. Mine goes "clunk_clunk" when i go from reverse to drive at a dead stop. I noticed some chipped teeth remnants when i was changing my rear diff fluid, but it did it before when i changed diff fluid with no metal on the magnetic plug.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rlantos

What was the verdict? I know this is an old thread but rise, rise, rise from the dead!!!

Quick Reply: Clunk - Going from Reverse to Forward?