Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clunk - Going from Reverse to Forward?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact samething happened to me with my automatic 2008 when I would put it in drive and reverse coming in and out of parking etc., posted a few months ago no real responses.

I took it to the dealer and they opened up the rear diff cover and checked out the gears, alot of slug was found.

Basically the limited slip gear was done, hence all the metal shavings/slug build up. So they ordered me a new clutch kit for the rear diff and so far no more clunking, its been a few months now.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Hi, This is my first post! This clunk happens to me all the time. I thought it was just a jeep thing, too. I have had the Jeep since April 2008.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

if you get the jeep up to speed and you let off then get back on the throttle does it clunk then too?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine does the same clunk....it sounds like it's coming from the rear end.

I was going to ask the dealer about it when they finally call me in to fix the clunk in the front end (they ordered the part)
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by john smack
if you get the jeep up to speed and you let off then get back on the throttle does it clunk then too?

I will have t try that. What I have noticed over the course of 35,000 miles is that my Jeep clunks going from Park to Drive, and sometimes when turning after a stop sign. It also seems to like to make a grinding noise from Park to Drive, especially if it isn't fully stopped. The dealer made those noises all the time when picking up and delivering the Jeep over the course of the first month of ownership (tow hitch etc..). I figured if the dealer didn't see anything abnormal - who was I to make a fuss?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I am getting it, too. I always use the parking brake, but I think I feel some slip when I park on a hill. I wonder if things are loosening up with wear? I was under there yesterday but didn't feel any movement or play.

We're all talking automatic transmissions, right? Or are some manuals doing it too.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Junkie

I am auto...
Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Mine is an automatic, too.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

This is an older thread, did a search and don't see any results here to the problem.....Mine is a 6spd....I have 77,000kms on mine, never did it before.....I just had my gears done less than 1 month ago...and up til now, they didn't make the noise....now mine does this exact noise everyone is describing....definitely coming from the rear diff......I can get out of the jeep and push/pull forward/backward on the rear tire, and hear the noise coming from the rear diff.....Just came back from a good wheelin trip over the weekend, and didn't notice anything, but now that I got home, it is doing this noise.......anyone find out what the issue is here???

My lift gets installed next Monday at the same place that did the gears, I called them and told them about it, they will open up the diff for a look see.....I hope I dont have to do anything too costly here..... My gears are working flawlessly, no noise, and I just passed the 2200 km mark on the new gears.....broke them in as directed.....Changed the breakin oil to RP at the 1200km mark.....The weekend whole wheeling trip everything worked flawlessly, the lockers, no grinding, or hitting anything either.....I will post back when I get this figured.....
Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Junkie

My Solution is as follows.....I'm no mechanic so bear with me guys in explaining, this is what I was told without actually seeing it first hand, or knowing the actual name for the parts......Okay, my installer took the diff cover off, and found that the click noise (which ocurred after reversing, then starting off/begin to roll forward, when engaging first) was caused by a small semi floating piece of metal that is for the E-locker, I guess it is suppose to hold something (part of the locker) in place, but also allow some movement, i know kinda confusing.... anyway mine was a little bent, and barely in place, thus allowing way too much movement of the locker (should be a rubicon problem only as we have oem lockers) My installer advised that this small metal piece may not have been re-installed correctly when they did the gears, saying they may have bent it, or not installed it all the way. (the gears were done 1 month ago) I was really impressed how they said, don't worry, we'll take care of it (no charge)as we did the install. Anyway, they bent it back to it's correct form, and installed it correctly........no more click/clunk or however you want to describe it.....I didn't get much sleep last night, as I was soooooo concerned about the noise, hoping everything would turn out....and it did.

So for guys with Sahara's or X, I don't know what your noise could be......but my noise was from the locker.....but everything is good now

Quick Reply: Clunk - Going from Reverse to Forward?