Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clunk - Going from Reverse to Forward?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk - Going from Reverse to Forward?

I did a little searching and I couldn't find the same question, although I am sure if it exists it will be pointed out quickly....

I wanted to see if this is "normal" - I notice when I back up (like out of the parking space) and then go back to drive to move forward I hear what seems to be a clunk coming from the rear - drive shaft, rear differential, etc?? If I had to guess, it seems like some slack in one of the components - like a U joint - that clunks due to slack when it reverses direction.

The noise is fairly obvious - hearing it and kind of feeling it. I know in many cases it isn't clear where the sounds comes from. I know there are threads on the steering and other noises, this does seem different to me. I am closing in on 36K miles and the end of my warranty, so I thought I would see if others have had this same issue.

Thanks for any thoughts. (stock 2007 JK 4DR, Auto)
Old 06-22-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by deadspot
I did a little searching and I couldn't find the same question, although I am sure if it exists it will be pointed out quickly....

I wanted to see if this is "normal" - I notice when I back up (like out of the parking space) and then go back to drive to move forward I hear what seems to be a clunk coming from the rear - drive shaft, rear differential, etc?? If I had to guess, it seems like some slack in one of the components - like a U joint - that clunks due to slack when it reverses direction.

The noise is fairly obvious - hearing it and kind of feeling it. I know in many cases it isn't clear where the sounds comes from. I know there are threads on the steering and other noises, this does seem different to me. I am closing in on 36K miles and the end of my warranty, so I thought I would see if others have had this same issue.

Thanks for any thoughts. (stock 2007 JK 4DR, Auto)
Step #1: take it to the dealer to get it documented.
A quick check you can do now:
With the vehicle off and in park, emergency brake on, grab the rear drive shaft and twist it both ways and see how much play there is and where the slack is coming from. A little play in the ring and pinion is normal, but should not be enough to make a clunk.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Assuming you have an automatic transmission, is there a chance you are not completely stopped when you switch from reverse to drive? I know that not completely stopping has made similar clunks in other cars I have driven.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Usually it happens going pretty slow and after coming to a stop before going forward (it is an Auto). Documenting with the dealer makes sense and I will get under there to see if there is anything obvious. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me know what happens. Mine does the exact same thing. I drive an auto as well. Its not extreme, but noticeable. More so after cold start.

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 06-22-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Let me know what happens. Mine does the exact same thing. I drive an auto as well. Its not extreme, but noticeable. More so after cold start.
X2 i've heard the noise since the day i brought it home. Just chaulked it up to another Jeep noise. Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Check Suspension

MAYBE A LITTLE OF TOPIC SINCE I OWN 6SP BUT i HAVE AT TIMES HAD "CLUNK"THAT I COULD HEAR AND FEEL WHEN CHANGING DIRECTION DUE TO LOOSE TRACK ARM/CONTROL ARM BOLTS.(both when stock and after lift)GUESS JUST TRYING TO SAY CHECK OVER(AND RULE OUT)SUSPENSION BEFORE FOCUSING ON TRANS/DRIVELINE
Old 09-05-2008, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having this problem now also. I'm going to climb under it today to see if I can figure it out.

Ty
Old 09-13-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is a auto and i have the same problem. I replaced the u- joints and it is defanetally coming from the frontand rear diffs when i change direction. I guess as long as is common with everyone else i wont worry about it.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

This was happening to me, and I found that the bolts in my rear lower control arm mounts were loose!

I tightened down the bolts and the sound and feel is gone!

Quick Reply: Clunk - Going from Reverse to Forward?