Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"Clunk" coming out of 4WD...???

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Clunk" coming out of 4WD...???

Has anybody else noticed a "clunk" when the you shift the tcase from 4hi into 2wd at a higher speed? For instance...say you were driving in 4 high around town on icy streets and then you head back onto the highway. You get to about 30-40 mph and shift it back into 2wd. It seems that I'll drive maybe 50-100 yards or more and then I get a "clunk". I'm pretty sure it's when the 4wd is actually disengaging...??? It doesn't seem to happen all the time, and recently when I shift back into 2wd at a higher speed, I'll take my foot of the gas a little, or just feather it a bit. Then I don't notice it.

Anybody else...???
Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

doesn't seem right. You ever check/change the t-case oil? Do you have any problem getting into 4hi? Any chance you have some ice build-up somewhere that's interfering?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by JKlad; 01-19-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clunk cound be the tension released from a wound-up drivetrain. They also recommend that you ease off the gas momentarily after you've shifted back into 2WD to allow the front driveshaft to disengage; if you haven't eased off the gas this clunk could be the front driveshaft disengaging itself not so smoothly, & I'd say the cold weather and subsequently cold ATF4 fluid in the transfer case also has something to do with it

Quick Reply: "Clunk" coming out of 4WD...???