Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cling on tint...

Old 10-12-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cling on tint...

Guess I'm a cheap skate, cause I don't wanna pay 300 for the tint kit for my soft top...I seen some cling on window tint (5%) at the local walmart, so for 14 dollars I took a chance...what a pain in the ass! First of all, there is NO room for error on a soft top window, there is a seam that butts right up to the window, this made trimming very tricky...to make a long story short, what I did was wet the window with baby shampoo and water in a spray bottle, then got the tint on and took my time cutting and recutting the tint until it fit, but I guess I don't have a steady hand, cause it ended up too small and there was daylight showing thru all around...being the redneck I am, I fixed this by taking black electrical tape and running it along the seem, overlapping quite a bit to hide the mess up...well I soon discovered that the tape makes it wanna come up at the corners, so then I got out the ultimate fixer, duct tape, and ran that over the electrical tape...I am not gonna lie and say it looks good, but it does block out the sun and maybe some prying eyes...neadless to say, I will be saving up for the three hundred dollar replacement windows...but I'm only out 14 bucks, so for now, it will work...I hope this helps the next cheap skate out lol
Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Tried this on gladd before...can't imagine the PITA it'd be on the soft top...
Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, so it's back to the drawing board, I came outside and it was already peeling off, oh well, i know now
Old 10-13-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Default soft top tint

i tinted my soft top windows with regular tint, worked good, a few small bubbles on the first window, second one better and back window pretty good, i dont tkae the windows off and you cant even tell from a couple feet away.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I cling tinted mine over a year ago. I have had to redo a window twice. It's not the best but it works. The only thing I have ever had anyone say negative about it is the color was kinda redish.

also, I applied mine to the outside of the windows.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

anyone here tried RIT dye?

Quick Reply: Cling on tint...