Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clicking noise when letting out the clutch while applying brakes

Old 09-30-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clicking noise when letting out the clutch while applying brakes

I have an interesting sound (Clicking) and the dealer has no clue what it is nor do they have any intention of fixing it. So here it is - When I gear down from 3rd to 2nd, while letting out the clutch and applying brakes (engine braking?) I hear a 3 second clicking noise, I also faintly hear it when accelerating from a stop. Anyone have any ideas? The sound seems like it is coming from the middle of the Jeep. I can get the sound every time!!! When I am not using the engine braking technique (not letting the clutch out while applying brakes) I do not get the sound.

If you had something similar or have an assumption please share!!!! It's bothering me!!

Cheers

Josh
Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 AM
JK Newbie

Bump ~ can anyone help?

Cheers

Josh
Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it just isn't the play in the gears? If I leave the Jeep in a low gear at a mid-range RPM and give it gas and then let the gas completely off (thus going from accelerating to engine braking) I get a "thunk" sound in the drivetrain. All it is is the play in all of the different gear sets changing the loading surface from one side of the gear teeth to the other. If you downshift for engine braking (changing the loading surface once) and then immediately apply the brakes (thus changing the loading surface again) you are likely to hear this thunk sound twice. So if you get two "clicks" during this time, it is likely the same noise (which is perfectly normal). If you climb under the Jeep and twist the driveshaft back and forth you can get a similar sound from just the play in the axle gear set.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

Hey, Thanks for the reply!!

I will check that out but the sound isn't a clunk, it's litterly a click and there is more then 2 clicks, um estimate of 6 clicks or more? At idle, I do not hear this sound but i'm not ruling out your suggestion! Going to move the driveshaft because that is where "I think" it's coming from in the first place, seems more to the back if that changes anything?

Thanks again!!
Cheers
Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

A little update;

Apparently my Jeep works better after it's been offroaded! haha After getting a bit stuck, the sound has disappeared making me think maybe I had something in my muffler and when i got stuck, some of the water cleared something out? Who knows, but after this, it has gone away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26xxTkSLTks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GumiGHfT5Ow
Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

Holy cow, that puddle was a little deeper than anticipated eh? Nice video.
Perhaps it had something to do with your clutch plates. Good to hear it fixed itself.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Yea, I'm not sure what it was, but as funny as it was after the trail and two weeks after, I haven't heard that sound again, thank god! No body likes to hear a weird sound from their baby!

Yea, it was definitely alittle deeper than I anticipated lol . There were two logs (trees?) within the "puddle" which I got hung up on. I am kinda glad I didn't giver and took the hole slow because I think I would have drowned her forsure lol. I'm not big on the whole giver to maker through technique lol. Low and slow and if ya get stuck there is always someone to pull you out. :P

Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

So, as of right now my jeep is getting a brand new transmission. This clicking sounds got really loud again and I took it in the other day for them to figure out what it was. I don't know exactly whats wrong but they said that certain parts in the transmission were wore down but they could not find a cause.

So if anyone has a rotating clicking noise, get your transmission checked!!! The sound would be very loud after first starting but would dissipate as you drove, so it wasn't a constant clicking noise.

Just a heads up.

Cheers

Josh
Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 ticks from the passenger side floor board area... Sounds like a leak in the pass side manifold... Ticks on acceleration... I'm not very happy about it especially if I need a new gasket or worse the Manifold is cracked...

She's still just a baby never thrashed on... Yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3647911191.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	117278  

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when letting out the clutch while applying brakes