Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cleaning stock fenders/bumpers...Getting the black back...

Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to see how my variety of trim detailers would hold up, and tried a little test. This wasn't scientific, but you'll get the idea of these 4 products:
  • 303 Aerospace Protectant
  • Adam's VRT
  • Mother's Back to Black
  • Black Wow
All were applied with a microfiber cloth onto the fender trim, with masking tape between. You can see how faded the trim was after not being treated in quite a while. The last application would have been with Adam's VRT.

Here's a blurry photo after the application.

The next day, it looks largely the same except for the Black Wow which has faded. I figured it was being absorbed into the plastic so I gave it another coat after taking the photo (I said this wasn't scientific!).

Two days later, and you can see that the Black Wow area is faded once again. I gave it a 3rd coat after this.

After 15 days and one car wash with Meguiars NXT Wash, I was left with this. All the products are hanging in there, with Mother's holding up the best, but their effects are clearly diminished.

It's very difficult to get really consistent photos of black trim next to white paint in the bright sun, so there is some difference between the photos. When I look at the samples today, Mother's Back to Black is clearly the blackest with the other three similar to each other and not much darker than the faded trim.

Based on what I've read, I was expecting a miracle with the Black Wow and was surprised it didn't outperform the others by a wide margin, and maybe it will over time once I get enough of it into the trim. I expect Octane Guy will have some tips for me!

I'm going to do another test, on the trim below the door, in hopes that the pictures will be more reliable.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FresnoJK
303 is awesome. I have read peanut butter works well too. Mmmmmm. Now Im hungry.
I have also heard that. But I was told peanut oil. It's a natural oil and it won't cause harm and worse fading over time.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink I haven't done anything because these threads freak me out - What I found

@HELLBENDER-JK - That was an awesome experiment you did there. Thanks for sharing.

I just got a 2012. I was going to put some 303 on there because everyone seems to go nuts over it. After reading some threads it sounds like it is a vicious cycle that you have to repeat every time it rains or every month. If it gets wet before it dries it looks real bad. Plus, you have to get it super clean first then wipe off any excess or you will get spots. I'm not saying it is bad, but it sounds not easy peasy, oily and greeze.

ABOUT GETTING IT CLEAN BEFORE THE UV PROTECTION
I read on another thread that the "Magic Eraser" type of pads work really good to get out the mud stains that are left after washing. I also heard about pressure washing and I pretty sure someone was having success with Windex.

UV PROTECTION OPTIONS

There are some that really like a product called "Vinylex". It doesn't come out oily and shinny. It appears that you can get it at some Wal-Mart's. Reading through the reviews I found this comment
click "More information >" at the manufacturer's link above, and you shall see that this product contains silicone, just like most of the other products out there.
There are quite a few people who say that armor-all is bad because it actually eats away at the plastic. I'm guessing that ingredient that does it is silicone. Apparently 303 doesn't have this terrible chemical.

It's about a 50/50 split on people liking Turtle Wax Ice. Clearly you wouldn't want to use standard carnauba wax.

Seems like "Back to Black" and "303" are the most popular options. With 303 you want to make sure to get it off of your aluminum rims before it dries.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw0cWfTZ_dA
Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wash and wax mine. Stupid Sahara. Hahaha
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet thanks for all the awesome info guys! Think I'm gonna start with Meguiars and go from there...I happen to have a heat gun so I'm tempted to do that but think I'll start simple withe a coating
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

The only thing I didn't like about back to black is that I usually had to put it on twice. I wouldn't get an even look until the second time around, especially if I drove it in the mud.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Armor All wipes. Cheap, easy and do a good job on Jeeps that are driven daily. I only apply when going to a show like the Teraflex All Jeep Show here in Tooele Utah.

Quick Reply: Cleaning stock fenders/bumpers...Getting the black back...