Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cleaning Bottom Surfaces

Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Bottom Surfaces

Hey I know this might sound stupid to you guys but how do you get the nice black metals under the JK to be black again. I look at my Truck I've had for 10 years and its frame metal looks awesome compared to the 2 year old jeep.

What do you guys use to get the metals underneath, the frame for example back to black? I'm planning on keeping the JK forever and would like to take care of with when I'm not going to be using it for a while. Right now the frame metal is a grey color from films of dirt which I've already blasted with a high pressure hose, very similar to the flares which have been out in the sun for a while.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't sound stoopid to me...my underside looks like kr** too...
i'm hoping to get it up on a hydraulic ramp and wire wool it all down...
then prime and paint with rust inhibiting black satin...

mine's only 3 and it looks rough under there...
and it hasn't been off road that much.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our JK unlimited doesn't look bad at all on the uderbody. It's an 07 purchased in Oct 06, and except for a few areas the I've scraped up, its pretty clean and the paint is in great condition. I do take it to the hydraspray and wash the bottom side pretty good. I remember when we bought it the salesman said it had the rust protection and underbody coating because it was slated for the eastcoast. Perhaps there is a diference between eastcoast and other vehicles as far as rust prevention coatings.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

High preassure wash the undercarriage to remove as much debris as possible. Spray liberal amounts of WD40 on a terrycloth rag and wipe down as many metal surfaces as you can. You can spray a little wd40 on hard to get to spots and wipe down. Be careful not to spray wd40 around wheels and brake rotors.

Once you're done, I think you'll like the results.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tire foam

i routinely spray all visible undercarriage parts with no touch tire foam after a good wash.....keeps it looking shiny and new.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I own a 2010 wrangler and I was shocked how awful the undercarriage looks after our winter just finished. I powerwashed it every week and still looks crap. Wranglers will always be infected with rust no matter what. The frame is fine it's everything else that has signs of surface rust
My plan is to sand it down also but use gloss rust paint has gloss is always way more durable. Satin looks better but won't last as long.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
i routinely spray all visible undercarriage parts with no touch tire foam after a good wash.....keeps it looking shiny and new.
I used armor all tire foam on some used tires I bought recently that had been used in mud quite a bit and not washed afterwards, so the dirt was really stuck on there. Worked really well in getting them back to black - in between the threads as well. I would think it will work for the undercarriage as well.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Tire foam

What jeeperjkjeeper said I spray wash the underside at the carwash and then spray a very light coat of tire foam inside wheel wells, exposed frame and axles. it really doesn't build up any crud because the JK gets washed regularly even if I am not wheeling in that weekend.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Junkie

I use that stuff all the time on the wheels after mudding I'll give it a try
Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tinglima
High preassure wash the undercarriage to remove as much debris as possible. Spray liberal amounts of WD40 on a terrycloth rag and wipe down as many metal surfaces as you can. You can spray a little wd40 on hard to get to spots and wipe down. Be careful not to spray wd40 around wheels and brake rotors.

Once you're done, I think you'll like the results.
Yep, what ^ said... Works great.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Bottom Surfaces