Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cleaning black plastic

Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this idea on another thread about the peanut butter. Front bumper, hood hinges and door handles were turning white. Front bumber had water stains that would not come out. I checked out pantry and found a half used jar of peanut butter. Had a half inch of oil sitting on top of butter. Poured oil into an old spray paint can lid and took a soft rag used for polishing and waxing. Applied the oil with small tiny swirls to the front bumper with amazing results. Did this 3 months ago and checked it yesterday. Still looks like new. Reccomend plain peanut oil. Works great.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmorejeep08
Found this idea on another thread about the peanut butter. Front bumper, hood hinges and door handles were turning white. Front bumber had water stains that would not come out. I checked out pantry and found a half used jar of peanut butter. Had a half inch of oil sitting on top of butter. Poured oil into an old spray paint can lid and took a soft rag used for polishing and waxing. Applied the oil with small tiny swirls to the front bumper with amazing results. Did this 3 months ago and checked it yesterday. Still looks like new. Reccomend plain peanut oil. Works great.

This won't work for those of us with allergies to Peanuts...

Sounds to me like what you are doing is replacing one stain with another more permanent stain.. Folks have recommended peanut butter, peanut oil, transmission fluid and olive oil.. all the same.. Create a stain that is worse than the original. I suppose in the end, it accomplishes the objective.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MikekiM

This won't work for those of us with allergies to Peanuts...

Sounds to me like what you are doing is replacing one stain with another more permanent stain.. Folks have recommended peanut butter, peanut oil, transmission fluid and olive oil.. all the same.. Create a stain that is worse than the original. I suppose in the end, it accomplishes the objective.
Yea I used the peanut oil and now I got a new stain I'm trying to get rid of
Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mother's Back to Black is the best stuff on the planet for our black plastic Jeep parts.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MADMAX07
Mother's Back to Black is the best stuff on the planet for our black plastic Jeep parts.
Yea its good but it washes away
Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't like Back to Black. It seems that I had to reapply it every week on my 06. It got too expensive. I haven't had to use anything on my 11 yet but I am sure that will change.

On my Ford 350 I used Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Liquid Polish on all the plastic and paint.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MikekiM
You mean one of those Mr Clean things??

I think we need some more details on this.. or there will be a bunch of JK's rolling around with warped and melted fenders...

When you are using a heat gun to restore faded plastic all you need to worry about is not touching the plastic with the gun its self. Once the heat starts warming up the plastic it will start changing color. Turning back to black. Go over it evenly with the heat gun sweeping over the plastic with the hot air. Dont stay in one spot. There are a few videos on youtube on this subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dtbBzky-s&feature=fvst

It is really that easy. This is how I keep my bumpers and fenders black.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Or for the love of god someone else could try the carsystems product I have been telling everyone about for the last year. Thousands of Chevy Avalanche owners will back my claim that this is the best product for faded stained plastic. PLEASE SOMEONE ELSE TRY IT.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Red Wings
Or for the love of god someone else could try the carsystems product I have been telling everyone about for the last year. Thousands of Chevy Avalanche owners will back my claim that this is the best product for faded stained plastic. PLEASE SOMEONE ELSE TRY IT.
Where Do u get it
Old 09-17-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use vinylex. Works like a charm I always find it at pep boys. and that's the only place.

Quick Reply: Cleaning black plastic