Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cigarette Lighter HELP!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter HELP!!!

So yesterday my car told me to stop smoking because my cigarette lighter no longer works. I checked both the right and left hand outlets and they both work with a cell phone charger. I replaced the fuses for both (which were not blown) and the cell phone charger still works in both but the cigarette lighter itself still will not. Is it possible that I need to replace just the lighter part or do i have to replace the whole element. I use the LH outlet for the cigarette lighter which i belive is the correct one. Its a 2008 JK 2DR Auto. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think you were correct with your first statement. Listen to the jeep...
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's it doing? Is it failling to stay pressed in? If so, then it's the actual lighter receptacle itself. Try keeping it pressed in with your fingers and see if it heats up (bet it will). You can fix it. The way it works is that there's metal tabs that lock the heater element in place until it reaches temperature, then they release it and it pops out. Look inside where the lighter goes in and you'll see a metal sleeve with two cut outs. Those are the ones that hold the lighter part in place when it's pushed in, thus completing a circuit & heating it up. You just have to adjust the metal tabs slightly back in place.

BTW, smoked for 25 years (started when I was 14). Quit cold turkey on April 1st 2011.

... I did still keep the lighter though

Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tried keeping the lighter held but the element just wont heat up but the receptacle still works when I use a cell phone charger
Old 05-16-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping an old thread for where are the fuses?! Mines out.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GulfCoastJeeper
Bumping an old thread for where are the fuses?! Mines out.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the dealer and get a new lighter they do Go bad you don't need a new socket.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq
So yesterday my car told me to stop smoking because my cigarette lighter no longer works. I checked both the right and left hand outlets and they both work with a cell phone charger. I replaced the fuses for both (which were not blown) and the cell phone charger still works in both but the cigarette lighter itself still will not. Is it possible that I need to replace just the lighter part or do i have to replace the whole element. I use the LH outlet for the cigarette lighter which i belive is the correct one. Its a 2008 JK 2DR Auto. Thanks everyone.
If the phone charger works then check the tabs (two of them) inside to see if they are bent too far out to make contact with the Lighter. The phone chargers have a spring loaded Tab to help reach..pics below of the Cigar Lighter..
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130518_174506_resized.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	459117Click image for larger version

Name:	20130518_174524_resized.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	459118
Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't make this any more complicated than it needs to be. The lighter element has burned open. Get a new lighter and be done with it.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Don't make this any more complicated than it needs to be. The lighter element has burned open. Get a new lighter and be done with it.
Sorry if this is Too much for you to Understand or Handle. You drive a Jeep, Not a $200,000.00 Vehicle. I'm sure 99.9% Jeep owners would be Happy if No Money and time to install, remove battery cable etc etc were spent then to Pay for something that is pretty normal/average thing for these devices to do. Esp if you Understand how they work....
Wooden popcicle stick, one minute adjustment. if works, Saved hour install,,,remove center bezel to get to back to pop unit out right, battery disconnect/reconnect....pay for part, ...MY ADVISE=2 mins, may cost ZERO
YOUR ADVICE= well you add it up....
The way things get repaired is first to understand how it works. Just because you have no interest in the knowledge, doesn't mean others don't.
Perfect example: These Forums are for finding answers to repairing more then just replacing. If we replaced everything without checking if it can be repaired, or in this case, adjust, then this Forum would be useless. Just order a part, why ask questions in a forum....
Wow....Sounds Lazy and Unhelpful to help a fellow Jeep Owner to save money....Do you even Know how a Lighter Functions? What holds it in, what has to touch what to start the power flow to heat the Element.....Elements can last forever, I've seen many in cars older then me, still have a hard used lighter working perfectly...

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter HELP!!!