Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

CIA Question

Old 04-03-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CIA Question

I was told by a mechinc not to use K&N cold air intake system because of the oil could screw up sensors. any inpuy wold be helpful. I'm trying to figure out what to buy. And does the throttle spacer really help with performance and milage. I have 07 JK..

Thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I haven't read that one before. But, some of the smarter people on this forum feel that the K&N improves performance, but by letting too much particulate matter through--thus affecting engine life. In addition, if you off-road where there is water--or just might drive through a flooded area--search on "hydrolock". CAIs are really not a good idea for off-road vehicles.

Throttle bottle spacers don't seem to have a big cadre of folks who rave about them. I don't think you really get much from them (if you did, Jeep would have provided them OEM to help make their CAFE numbers).

Face facts: Your Jeep is an off-road vehicle. If you want sports car performance, check out the supercharger and hemi threads. Otherwise, anything you do will give only minuscule performance that, IMHO, when compared blind and seat-of the pants (not dyno tested) to a stocker, will be indistinguishable.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The sensor most vulnerable to oiled filters is the Mass Air Flow sensor.
The JK does not have one of these.

When someone installs a cold air intake, and I ask if it still gets air from under the hood, I never get an answer.
Why would that be?

My JK runs fine on the OEM intake and filter.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Airaid cai but it was free so I said what the hell.I cant say I can tell a diffrence but it sure looks cool when you pop the hood.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

i've been running a drop in k&n for like 50k now. I've cleaned it and oiled it a few times. I couldn't find any oil in the intake tube, but again i'm not worried about it because we don't use a MAF or MAS. There's a IAT sensor in the intake tube but i've never heard of those being effected. There's no question a cai will net you some hp, and fuel millage but are the trade offs worth it? I'm working on a snorkle that is much more effecient then those available and hope to get the best of both worlds, but the drop in is a good idea too. And cheap!

Quick Reply: CIA Question