Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Chrysler's flexible new Pentastar V6

Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Those power output numbers are very deceptive. They are given at really high RPMs. Jeepers need an engine that develops low end grunt.......sorta like a Chevrolet big block, but without all the weight. I'm not sure a diesel is the answer, either. Not everybody likes diesel engines....and lets face it, unlike gasoline powered vehicles, you're GONNA smell diesel fuel no matter what. That crap gets everywhere. The solution is simple. Put the HEMI in it from the factory.
x2 on the factory HEMI. I have been waiting for years for a factory diesel or V8 option in a Jeep.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpm152
As the lucky SOB above me said WE NEED DIESEL here in the US (high 20s MPG and 350 lbs-ft of torque at 2K RPM is what Im talkin about)
+1

I'd be first in line at the dealer to get one.......and I tell them that everytime I stop by.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It must be because of all the fuel and crash standards (note how much room is in front of the stock 3.8 under the hood).

Otherwise, I find it really surprising they are putting this engine in something that needs more low end torque. The 3.8 works, and so will this new engine. But they could be so much better.

The little high revving V-6's they put in the Wrangler would be fine as long as someone buying one never owned anything that had any decent power to compare it to. Like anything other than a bicycle.

There are many more practical and efficient vehicles out there for simple transportation than the Wrangler. While many of us drive Jeeps to work, most did not buy them primarily for that purpose.

If your like me, you bought the Wrangler for the fun factor first, transportation second. However, I think Chrysler forgets most of us do not trailer our Jeeps and we have to still drive on the highway to where the fun is. This is where, to me, the Jeep is (was) a big dissapointment. I also did not like the 3.8 in any kind of deep snow, mud, or sand where I often want to stay in high range.

We can only hope they add more transmission, transfer case, and gearing options to offset the (once again) low end torque limitations this new engine will have. A ten speed transmission might do the trick!

Oh well, at least they will make the aftermarket happy (AEV, Ripp, Superchips, etc).

Glad I did not wait on Chrysler to put a real engine in a 2 ton brick that I will only keep adding more weight to with mods.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-20-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

just curious, but what the torque cuvre of a 6.1 hemi. Last time I checked it wasn't anything usable in the offroad environment. I'm not sure of the 5.7 hemi, but I'm sure it's setup for a little better low-end for towing and such.. I just don't get the rave of HEMI this and HEMI that. I've read a few people on here with the 6.1's say that they're not that impressed with the bottom-end power. Which is very understandable considering it's a street performance engine. Not an engine that will be ran and low-mid rpm range.

I'm just not sold on the hole hemi bandwagon. I'm sure anything is an improvement of the mini-van engine, but for the added cost? I'll be the first one on the lot the day the sale one with a diesel engine. Especial if it's a turbo diesel. They make killer power and can be made more efficient then most any engine type out there.

Seein the new v6 is a DOHC is kinda nice, but generally speaking most are setup for mid-upper rpm power. Just wish Chrysler would get with the program and offer us something with some low end grunt.

-Chad-
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

I don't see why every thinks the Pentastar engine will have bad torque. "The engine’s torque exceeds 90 percent of its peak value from 1,600 to 6,400 rpm" from Allpar.com. That sounds like a reasonably flat torque curve to me and 90% of 260 ft/lb is just a few ft/lb lower than the best the 3.8L can do.

If you really want torque nothing beats electric motors... max torque at 0 RPM. I'll take one per wheel
Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JKChad
just curious, but what the torque cuvre of a 6.1 hemi. Last time I checked it wasn't anything usable in the offroad environment. I'm not sure of the 5.7 hemi, but I'm sure it's setup for a little better low-end for towing and such.. I just don't get the rave of HEMI this and HEMI that. I've read a few people on here with the 6.1's say that they're not that impressed with the bottom-end power. Which is very understandable considering it's a street performance engine. Not an engine that will be ran and low-mid rpm range.

I'm just not sold on the hole hemi bandwagon. I'm sure anything is an improvement of the mini-van engine, but for the added cost? I'll be the first one on the lot the day the sale one with a diesel engine. Especial if it's a turbo diesel. They make killer power and can be made more efficient then most any engine type out there.

Seein the new v6 is a DOHC is kinda nice, but generally speaking most are setup for mid-upper rpm power. Just wish Chrysler would get with the program and offer us something with some low end grunt.

-Chad-
Don't know where you're gettin all that from. The New HEMI's claim to fame has always been it's low end torque. Stone stock they have a touch over 300 LB FT of torque at 1100 RPM. That's just right for a Jeep.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKChad

-Chad-
The purpose of this thread was the new v-6 engine, I was just expressing my dissapointment with those specs going into a 2 ton square vehicle that will be driven on the road. Was not trying to argue the merits of a hemi, sorry.. The 6.1 was just my solution to the problem of the Wrangler being underpowered on the road, the subject of many complaints. I just think its a shame that rice burners can have superchargers from the factory, and trucks weighing less than our Jeeps can have factory V-8's or diesels.

I do not know what the 6.1 torque curve is. The primary complaints from some are low RPM shift points causing a "bog" in the engine. The 6.1 will not realize full potential in the Wrangler using RFE 545 tranny instead of the A580 or using the 5.7 exhaust manifolds instead of headers. The 5.7 is probably more practical for low end torque, but I got a hella deal on 6.1 with 1000 miles on it and could not pass it up. A 3.8 it sure ain't!

With my stock 4:10 gears and 32" tires, low end "usable" torque is relative I guess. If I turn off the traction control, from a dead stop I could shred my rear tires if I wanted. Maybe not usable low end torque to some, but it gets me through sand, mud, and snow in hi range with a bunch less effort than the 3.8 did.

And no one needs a hemi or a supercharger for crawling around in 4 lo. The 3.8 does fine, especially in a Rubicon. That is not where the complaints come from.

75% of my time is spent on road. I got what was, for me, the best of both worlds. I can go out and play in a blizzard in the winter with confidence and in the summer have a Jeep that can downshift and still take some weight off the front springs at 80 mph. It makes me look forward to starting my Jeep in the morning to go to work. A major feat at my age.

If you can go for a ride in a hemi Jeep like I did once and not crave one, it would not be the right choice for sure, nor worth the expense. But then I spent 20 years on sports bikes and have all V-8's, so I am kinda crazy. I wanted a capable off road vehicle that did not feel underpowered (to me) on the road.

My point was that it is too bad we have to go to any after market expense to get on road performance on par with what comes factory in most vehicles that weigh what a Wrangler does. I am not talking screaming power, but something you do not have to downshift going up a reasonable highway grade. Unless the torque curve is down low in this new engine (in a smaller displacement V-6?), there will be many more complaints when it comes out.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-22-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Do I buy 2010 or wait until 2011? confuse
Old 10-22-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeep81
Do I buy 2010 or wait until 2011? confuse
At the low end where I spend all my time (under 1500 RPM) they will more than likely be very similar to each other. Only difference is if you want decent power right out of the box but less ability to modify your engine go for the pentastar. If you do your own oil changes and enjoy building your own engine up I would say go for the 3.8.

Plus I would say it will greatly depend on whether the JKs with the pentastar will be more expensive than what they are currently. If so that's another thing to take into account.

Either way it all comes down to personal preference. If I was in the market for a new wrangler I would wait for the 11s to come out. That way you can test drive both the 10s and 11s, look at the price difference and weigh that against the performance after driving both.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wouldn't the higher peak torque of the new engine help drive the added mass and increased diameter of a set of 35's? It's my impression is that while a 3.8L V6 is OK for a stock Jeep with stock tires, it's not strong enough to handle accelerating the larger diameter tires. Seems to me a stronger peak torque rating would help you overcome the increased wheel/tire gearing disadvantage. Am I wrong here?

Quick Reply: Chrysler's flexible new Pentastar V6