Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Chrysler's flexible new Pentastar V6

Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Chrysler's flexible new Pentastar V6

Chrysler's all-new Pentastar V6 is claimed to be the "most advanced six-cylinder engine in the history of Chrysler." It's a flex-fuel DOHC 3.6-liter engine that will improve fuel efficiency by as much as 8 percent — and will get Chrysler a 2-mpg increase in CAFE by 2015.
The Pentastar V6 gets a 60-degree die-cast aluminum cylinder block, narrow included valve angle, cylinder head and high-flow intake and exhaust. The engine makes 280 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 260 pound-feet at 4,800 rpm. Chrysler calls that a 33 percent hp and 11 percent torque improvement over the engine it replaces.
The engine is flex-fuel capable for the use of gasoline or E85 but can also run on regular gasoline. It also gets an "advanced oil filter system" that includes a more efficiently disposable filter element, long-life spark plugs and a high-energy coil-on-plug ignition system, all intended to cut ownership costs.
The 2011 Wrangler is due in the second or third quarter of 2010, and will have a standard Pentastar V6. The Scrambler pickup concept appears to be out of the picture; the AEV Brute may be increased in number and cut in cost thanks to Jeep involvement. Details: Two door Wrangler - Four door Wrangler (Unlimited) - Scrambler pickup.

Cannot wait to see this engine in the Wrangler. It's really wanted

Last edited by Jeep81; 10-19-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 PM
JK Super Freak

You and me both pal. But I bet itll be acouple years though. Unless they can utilize the factory the 3.8l is built in itll probably be awhile.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Design wise it looks good, performance wise it is hardly any different than what we have right now.

That engine should be putting out 320+HP and about 300ft#'s torque without raising a sweat. Something just doesn't seem right.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 AM
JK Newbie

its not diesel thats the problem
Old 10-20-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem I see with the pentastar is that its still going to suck as much at low RPM (if not more due to its lower displacement compared to the 3.8L!). Both torque and horsepower peak 1000 RPM higher than our current engines. Based on that I'm guessing that the redline will be at 6500 RPM. Assuming our 202 HP 3.8 could go 1000 RPMs higher with a fairly flat torque curve they could put out ~240 horsepower. Then take into account the peak torque is about 20 ft-lbs higher at higher RPM from HIGH RPM tuning and theres your 280 horsepower.

Personally Ill take a bit more displacement, higher low-end torque and the VASTLY increased engine life of the 3.8L. One thing people need to take into account is the rule of thumb with building engines is you can tune them to put out any amount of power you want, but the higher the power to displacement, the lower your engine life will be. The 3.8s are on the same order as the old 4.0s as far as power to displacement and we all saw how great those things lasted. Suddenly increasing the power by nearly 50% (by mainly increasing the redline) I have a feeling that we are going to hear of a lot of blown engines on here when they first come out, especially from people who tow things on a regular basis. I'm guessing this is why they took the lifetime powertrain guarantee away before they switched over to it, so we didn't associate the engine change to the guarantee change...

As the lucky SOB above me said WE NEED DIESEL here in the US (high 20s MPG and 350 lbs-ft of torque at 2K RPM is what Im talkin about)

Last edited by tpm152; 10-20-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeep81
It also gets an "advanced oil filter system" that includes a more efficiently disposable filter element, long-life spark plugs and a high-energy coil-on-plug ignition system, all intended to cut ownership costs.
Ugh I just noticed this, it is going to make changing the oil a HUGE PITA because if anyone here has ever worked with them (on some motorcycles and such) they are hard to reseal and annoying to need to reassemble every time you take them apart to change the filter element. Give me less power and a spin-off oil filter any day!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those power output numbers are very deceptive. They are given at really high RPMs. Jeepers need an engine that develops low end grunt.......sorta like a Chevrolet big block, but without all the weight. I'm not sure a diesel is the answer, either. Not everybody likes diesel engines....and lets face it, unlike gasoline powered vehicles, you're GONNA smell diesel fuel no matter what. That crap gets everywhere. The solution is simple. Put the HEMI in it from the factory.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Those power output numbers are very deceptive. They are given at really high RPMs. Jeepers need an engine that develops low end grunt.......sorta like a Chevrolet big block, but without all the weight. I'm not sure a diesel is the answer, either. Not everybody likes diesel engines....and lets face it, unlike gasoline powered vehicles, you're GONNA smell diesel fuel no matter what. That crap gets everywhere. The solution is simple. Put the HEMI in it from the factory.
yeah Redneck!!! thats what we are doing this Spring!!!!!!!!!! whoo hooo
Old 10-20-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Desighn wise it looks patched together in attempt to follow emmision rules now forced to follow.
Same oil filtration system and plasma coils as what BMW has had since 1992, see they finaly gone with the overhead cam system.

Still looks 20 years behind in the times already IMO. I'd be happier to see a new turbo diesel option instead of that.

Like the aluminum block anf 6400 RPMS though... just hope the tq curve is just as fat as the current 3.8L's we have now.

Last edited by 999666; 10-20-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tpm152
Ugh I just noticed this, it is going to make changing the oil a HUGE PITA because if anyone here has ever worked with them (on some motorcycles and such) they are hard to reseal and annoying to need to reassemble every time you take them apart to change the filter element. Give me less power and a spin-off oil filter any day!
Same as what a BMW has, comes with new seals with every filter.
Takes seconds to change all 3, plus no mess as it's empty of oil already being up top.
I like it much better then the old style twist and let oil all drip to the ground and evrything ealse in it's path.

Last edited by 999666; 10-20-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Chrysler's flexible new Pentastar V6