Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Chirping coming from passenger side

Old 01-30-2020, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping coming from passenger side

Hi I’m new to the forum (been lurking quite a while though) and I’m having the dreaded chirping issue only nothing quite matches my symptoms I’ve found on the forum. Lately my Jeep has been making the chirping only in drive and while accelerating and starting at about 1600 rpm indefinitely. When I take my foot off the gas it stops. It’s most definitely on the passenger side not in the middle in the tranny or under the drivers side where the driveshaft is. It speeds up as I do and being as it only does it when torque is applied to the wheel I’m not sure if it’s the wheel at all, maybe exhaust? But I’m not throwing codes for o2 bank 2 or catalyst bank 2. It’s deafening with the windows down at side road speeds and I’ve dumped a whole can of PB and wd40 on everything I could get into. If anyone has a suggestion I’d really appreciate it.

It it is a completely stock 09 jk unlimited x

Last edited by Codybear; 01-30-2020 at 10:49 AM. Reason: More info
Old 01-30-2020, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Stone between brake disc and backing plate?? Also get the Jeep in the air safely and place in drive and try to make the noises with someone looking in to the noise outside. That will also determine if the noise is drivetrain or suspension related
Old 01-31-2020, 02:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so, i gotta ask....stock jeep? the main reason I ask...buddy of mine had the same sound. He too swore it was from the passenger side. I heard it too. Started as chirping...few days/weeks later turned into a whine (almost like the wind noise from a lightbar). Anyway, long story short: turned out in the end to be a crappy regear job in the front diff.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Brake pad wear indicator?? Did you get this sorted out?
Old 02-03-2020, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue also. Drove me crazy. It turned out to be the emergency brake assembly on the passenger side. Replaced the shoes as well as the entire internals (springs, adjuster etc). Problem solved.

I also replaced the rotors and brake pads while I had it torn apart. The old pads were fine, not worn, but the inside of the rotor was bad due to the emergency brake problems.

Quick Reply: Chirping coming from passenger side