Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Chip in windshield

Old 12-19-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip in windshield

Do all chips in windshileds lead to cracks? I have a VERY small chip that the glass repair shop told me is not a threat. He told me he could fill it but that it is so small that it is not a concern as it is not deep enough.....

It is very small - can it still spread?

Thoughts....
Old 12-19-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will probably crack eventually, but it could be a while so I'd just let it live. If it's gonna go, it will go during this winter... if the cold doesn't get it, you're probably good for a while.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had a couple chips in mine for some time now with no cracks. I filled up the chip with super glue, let it dry real good in the sun, scraped off the excess with a razor blade. I repeated that a few times (4-5 times) and so far so good.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

The windshield is "safety glass" which is a layer of plastic material between two layers of glass. Normally, the honest glass repair places won't recommend a repair unless the chip is through the first glass layer, starting to star out (cracks forming) or is obstructing your vision. Otherwise, while it is a weak point, it is normally cosmetic and may go years without issue.

I have fixed some like that and let others go and don't remember ever having a full blown crack develop in either case.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Got a chip in mine the firt 2 days i got it...Really pissed me of but...
Get it fixed to make sure...Cost me only $60.00...Make it safe...
Old 12-19-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would get it filled just to be safe. I have a guy in the area that is called the "Windshield Wizard" that fixes mine for me.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Problem is I tried to get it fixed and they wouldn't do it. Just to be safe, I am going to call another shop - insurance will pay for it which is what surprised me with this other shop...easy $$.

Thanks for feedback.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Is it a big enough chip to make filing an insurance claim worth it? I've had a chip in my glass for some time but its so minute that I'm not concerned with it. The second that it starts to spider (if it happens) I'll be sure to get it replaced. But, if its tiny, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think that is where I am at - it is small but I don't want to have to replace the whole window due to ignoring it. I think I may just watch it and get it fixed if it starts to spread.

It looks more like a chip in the top of a drinking glass than a window that has been hit with a bb or something like that - it is small and I am damn paranoid.....

Time will tell!!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

i got a small chip in mine 3 weeks after i got it and its still there an autoglass guy said it should be find, if not ill find out this winter when it spreads hahah

Quick Reply: Chip in windshield