Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Chip Upgrade

Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Upgrade

Anyone got some input on the best performance chip for the stock 3.8 engine? I am looking for something that is going to increase my HP but will still keep my fuel usage the same or increase it, thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Hypertech is very good
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out the Super Chips thread started by Jpop. A ton of info.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO these programmer products (Superchips, etc) do anything to enhance the performance of bone stock 6-speeds?

I understand that with automatics and lifted vehicles, regeared with larger tires etc they are worth the money (optimise shift points on the auto and offer towing programs, re-calibrate speedo and adjust for gearing, etc) but for bone stock standard (manual) trans vehicles many have said they offer no benefit.

Anyone have any experience with them on completely stock (suspension, wheels/tires, intake, exhaust, etc) 6-speed transmission equipped JKs?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKlad
DO these programmer products (Superchips, etc) do anything to enhance the performance of bone stock 6-speeds?

I understand that with automatics and lifted vehicles, regeared with larger tires etc they are worth the money (optimise shift points on the auto and offer towing programs, re-calibrate speedo and adjust for gearing, etc) but for bone stock standard (manual) trans vehicles many have said they offer no benefit.

Anyone have any experience with them on completely stock (suspension, wheels/tires, intake, exhaust, etc) 6-speed transmission equipped JKs?
^^I am interested in that as well. I am eventually going to be getting a lift, tires, etc...is it worth spending the money on now, or should I just wait?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I asked this same question about the bone stock 6 speed. Even sent it to the Superchips rep that frequents the board....no reply, nothing. I guess the silence answered the question for me.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Would like to hear some feedback on this also.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKlad

I got the 6spd and the first thing I noticed was the delayed throttle response was GONE! You gain more power even on Tow or 87 Tune. The first issue I had was the very touchy throttle with the 6spd at slower speeds but Superchips updated this problem!

The second issue was on 87 tune after I updated the programmer was the knock/ping issue. After a while it was getting annoying and I believe superchips is still working on this issue based on individual people contacting them. I just switched to Tow mode on my programmer and found it worked just as good power/throttle response as the 87 tune minus the knock/ping.

My mileage went up with the programmer, gained a little more seat of the pants power, removed the delayed throttle, removed the (_!_) light when off-roading and I can program the tire size I am running. Also, the Crawl tune is awesome when off-roading!

A great investment IMHO!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

A tuner will be my next modification. Superchips seems to be getting the most praise around here so i'll more than likely goto that. Hypertech is also something that i'm interested in though.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
...I got the 6spd and the first thing I noticed was the delayed throttle response was GONE...
Even if I didn't get any more power I'd buy one solely for the fact that it gets rid of the throttle delay. It's been driving me nuts since day 1 but I just assumed that it's a feature of the fly-by-wire that I can't do anything about and have learned to live with it.

Can anyone else confirm that this is the case regarding the electronic throttle delay being eliminated by the Superchips (or any other) programmer?

Quick Reply: Chip Upgrade