Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Chicago Blizzard 2011, and my wipers s**k!!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It's a piece of pvc, ripped in half, holes drilled in it, bent to conform to the windshield curvature, placed over the defrost outlet.
The hot air fills the tube, and comes out all the holes, warming even the ends of the windshield.
That's a pretty slick idea!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a piece of pvc, ripped in half, holes drilled in it, bent to conform to the windshield curvature, placed over the defrost outlet.
The hot air fills the tube, and comes out all the holes, warming even the ends of the windshield.
Nice work. I was thinking of something like that but didn't know what to use. I like it.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

That's a sweet idea! Also, RainX does wonders.. Is it just mine but only the driver side end of the windshield collected ice. Passenger side stayed clear, had new wipers too! Weird.. Anyways this storm was pretty fun spent hrs driving chicago from north to south pulling people out of snow drifts & such.. Luv my jeep!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
wow.....I grew up in Downers....anyways I have the same problems with the wipers. I just replace them every 6 months to the date and it helps..
I grew up in Wisconsin (actually in the UP on the border) but my family is all from the Green Bay area. Been in Downers 15 years.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is how I get the heat to the entire windshield.

Love it. Are the holes all aimed toward the windshield.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by sciguy6
Love it. Are the holes all aimed toward the windshield.
There are three rows of holes. The top row is slightly forward of straight up.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sciguy6
2 hours, 18 miles, had to stop 4 times to clear the wipers of ice (it was snowing). The drivers side of the front window kept freezing and making the wiper jump. In 2 hours I tried many things. The best was to crack the front window, put the heat at my feet (the defroster was making it worse) and keep the wipers on high rep intermittent. Overall they still were terrible. Any other advice.

Thank goodness we cancelled school tomorrow (I teach) so I don't have to deal with it on the way to work.
I received this for Christmas of 2009. Is called the AlphaTherm Windshield Washer Heater. We installed it on our JK and I gotta say it's nice to have all year around. In the winter the windshield is free of ice within 2-3 minutes of starting the JK. While driving in the snow I no longer get ice build up in the wiper blades. In the summer it does a great job of removing bugs from the windshield. I am pleasantly surprised and I would definitely buy another.

We are also using 16" Silblade wiper blades on the JK..(These Silblade's are freaking fantastic!) I have a set on my 1996 Mustang that have been on it for 10 years and they still wipe perfect!

www.alphathermusa.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	alphatherm_windshield_washer_heater_unit.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	124191   Click image for larger version

Name:	alphatherm_windshield_washer_unit_electrical_connection.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	124192   Click image for larger version

Name:	alphaTherm_windshield_washer_heater_hot_cold.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	124193  

Last edited by whpony96; 02-03-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PVC pipe is a great idea! As is the washing fluid heater. I am going to try both of those.

As for wiper blades, I found that Silblade makes a 15" blade that fits on our Wranglers. Search Amazon for "Silblade FB115 Flex Silicone Wiper Blade". A little pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I put them on my wife's vehicle too, and she came in a couple of weeks ago after our first big storm here and thanked me for putting them on.

After looking at the sweep path of the blade, it does look like a 16" would work also.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Junkie

We are also using 16" Silblade wiper blades on the JK..(These Silblade's are freaking fantastic!) I have a set on my 1996 Mustang that have been on it for 10 years and they still wipe perfect!

The 16" blades to not touch the paint either...
Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi

i recently "heated" my washer fluid and it works alot better!!
i went to pep boys and got some washer fluid hose. 6ft. i dont recall the inner dia.
i also got some straight vaccum adaptors. i cut my hose by where it dissappears by the underhood fuse box, spliced in the new piece, and wrapped it around the upper rad hose. not super tight. then i re routed the other end to connect to the stock washer tube and it pretty much runs up the ac line on drivers side now instead of into the drivers corner.
cost me less than 10$.

Quick Reply: Chicago Blizzard 2011, and my wipers s**k!!