Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Chicago Blizzard 2011, and my wipers s**k!!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the wipers that are the problem. It's the shitty excuse for a defroster. Since the damned thing only blows on the center of the windshield, the outer foot of windshield, on either side, ices up pretty much regardless of what you do........then the windshield cracks. Piss poor design IMHO.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say in that kind of weather. I don't care what you have it sucks. Here in the north east same thing yesterday. Had to stop every 20 minutes and clean ice/snow off wipers and I drive all day with work. Get some of the winter wipers that are sealed up. Helps keep it from building back of blade

Also about above post. Windsheilds don't crack from ice and snow on them. It's usually a small chip that when it's freezing out and you have defrost on it is how they crack.

Last edited by jcs07jk; 02-02-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

3.5 hours to plow out my 3 to 4.5 ft drifts. Haven't been out driving yet except when my kid unburied his (my old) 86 Lincoln Town Car. I took it out and did a few donuts for old time sake. (Grew up in the UP of Michigan and all we had was rear wheel and lots of sliding around.)

I know the wipers are bad in that kind of weather but growing up in the UP I never had the kind of problems that my Jeep had. I agree it had to be the defroster. I know some try to take off the wiper arms and move them up more in line with the window itself. Anyone actually do this. Was it worth it to have the wipers up like that. I will look into other wipers. I forgot to get my rain-x on.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

While waiting for my work truck to get some repairs today I asked if he had the winter wiper blades. Said he doesn't use them as they are still same wiper just wrapped in rubber. If moisture gets in they still freeze. Showed me the anco contour series wiper blade. Looks really good. He said it's only wiper he uses during winter now. Going to get a set tomorrow for my own car. Didnt get them on work truck
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.....I grew up in Downers....anyways I have the same problems with the wipers. I just replace them every 6 months to the date and it helps..
Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LynDi
Also about above post. Windsheilds don't crack from ice and snow on them. It's usually a small chip that when it's freezing out and you have defrost on it is how they crack.

The windshield can crack near the defroster IF the vehicle has been driven recently enough to heat the motor, then stopped long enough for the glass to get very cold. It took 30 minutes of cold weather followed by a start up with the defroster on hot to break the glass in about 2 minutes.
Just follow the crack with your finger on outside of windshield you'll feel the chip. If windshield broke from that sort of a situation I'd go through a windshield every winter in my work truck. I drive 20 minutes, sit for anywhere from 30 minutes to a hour or so, then start up for heat on high heat high fan defrost to warm my frozen ass. Not a lot of fun working outside in winter
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

This is how I get the heat to the entire windshield.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Ronjenx...could you expand on that picture? Whats goin on there?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

X 2 on the winter blades they worked well for me last yr when we got dumped on now I switch them out every season.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeReo
Ronjenx...could you expand on that picture? Whats goin on there?
It's a piece of pvc, ripped in half, holes drilled in it, bent to conform to the windshield curvature, placed over the defrost outlet.
The hot air fills the tube, and comes out all the holes, warming even the ends of the windshield.

Quick Reply: Chicago Blizzard 2011, and my wipers s**k!!