Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Chicago Blizzard 2011, and my wipers s**k!!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago Blizzard 2011, and my wipers s**k!!

2 hours, 18 miles, had to stop 4 times to clear the wipers of ice (it was snowing). The drivers side of the front window kept freezing and making the wiper jump. In 2 hours I tried many things. The best was to crack the front window, put the heat at my feet (the defroster was making it worse) and keep the wipers on high rep intermittent. Overall they still were terrible. Any other advice.

Thank goodness we cancelled school tomorrow (I teach) so I don't have to deal with it on the way to work.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Depends on how heavy the snowfall is.

I found that what works best is full heat defrost blowing high or close to it with blades always moving. Lower the sun visors because they will collect heat near the top of the windshield. Drive slower, speed freezes any moisture on the windshield.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default No Problems in Milwaukee today

I have the Super Silicon Wipers, and they worked pretty good for me today.

Can't wait till tomorrow to play in this stuff!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Goodyears 16 inch contour blades (like rainx) will fit on your JK, and will not hit paint. I love them. Also added Rainx additive to my fluid.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LynDi
I found that what works best is full heat defrost blowing high or close to it with blades always moving. Lower the sun visors because they will collect heat near the top of the windshield. Drive slower, speed freezes any moisture on the windshield.
This is the best answer. Seems like in heavy wet snow, temp just below freezing is the worst. Defrost on high, temp on high is the only thing that seems to work. I've learned to take off my jacket and deal with the heat.

I find it remarkable that a company based in Michigan can't make a vehicle that can be driven in a blizzard without freezing up the windshield. My JK is just as bad as my TJ. Funny how my Toyota works better in blizzard conditions than my Jeeps.

I've often thought about putting together a kit with a electric defrost to keep the lower part of the windshield and the sides warm enough so they don't freeze up. I haven't gotten around to it though.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll try it. As far as the slow. I averaged 9 mph. Fastest was 25. No nosebleeds from speed.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

Do I dare say... stay at home? Problem fixed! I'm up in Deerfield, IL and this storm is nuts!

Ever since I've used washer fluid that has a -20 to -25 freeze point, I've not had the icing issue.

Drive safe! (If you were out because you were pulling people out of trouble, I salute you!)
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Yeah i was just out in it.. Its insane out there.. You could have 20 wipers and it would still suck.. Cant win them all dude. shits retarded out there...
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I can tell you its crazy out there but think of it this way 60-70mph winds, 3-4 inches per hour snowfall rate, temps in the teens not many wipers can keep up with that. I have found winter blades along with the defrost/feet setting with a little bit of washer fluid once and a while keeps everything clear and clean for me. Good luck out there and try to stay off the roads.

Mike
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

At the start of the storm, good thing the wind is so strong not too much snow on her. Wife's car is nice and comfy in the heated garage lol.

Quick Reply: Chicago Blizzard 2011, and my wipers s**k!!