Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

cherry red exhaust

Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Asta4125
The only way a rich fuel mixture would cause massive heat would be, if the motor was running so rich that unburnt fuel would be getting into the headers and exhaust causing it to ignite inside. I highly doubt that is the case, becuae if it was his jeep would bearly be running. Usually its a lean mixture that makes manis glow red.

But on the flip side, if his mixture was really really rich, for some reason, that could clog up the cat, and cause more backpressure then required, cause exhaust gases to get caught in side the exhaust making the mani glow......
I agree with this statement, have never seen a rich condition with red-hot exhaust manifold results. These cast manifolds are thicker than aftermarket headers which would glow quicker at WOT with the "correct" air/fuel/timing/etc tuned correctly, so being stock ExMani's and glowing this way should net a trip to the dealer...if under warranty still.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

it has 6000 miles on it . it has always ran like crap. 13 mpg is the best i have ever got
Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

You shouldn't have trouble makeing your JK do this again at the dealer make sure you call ahead and let him know you'll be there in 10 and coming in hot!!!
Scotty
Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

well guys it has somthing to do with how much fuel is in the tank. both time i noticed this the fuel light was on. i got fuel last night and now with a full tank it is not glowing. i guess these jeeps have a lean condition at low fuel levels ?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flip2spin23
yeah im sure it has it a jeep i play in the river a lot. i still dont have a check engine light tho. and i wont take it in till i get one because ill be called stupid

I'm guessing you dunked a really hot converter and by dunking it the rapid contraction of the exterior case caused the inner honeycomb core to collapse and it's now partially (MOSTLY?) plugging the exhaust - that would explain both the heat/glow problem and the crappy mileage.

CALL the dealer service writer, tell them the issue, arrange a time that you'll call him on the cell and he can witness it with a tech and confirm that it's not normal - the CEL doesn't mean squat in this case - let them witness the red glow and I guarantee they'll be doing something to fix it (probably do the converter first) since it's going to be visible that there is a major issue.

The CEL may never light - the only thing that it checks is the upstream O2 vs the downstream O2 - as long as what's left of the converter is still working (which it probably will since IMHO it's not plugged with carbon) then the downstream O2 will read properly and thus NO CEL.

Quick Reply: cherry red exhaust