Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cheapest way to get a replacement key

Old 05-25-2021, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Locksmith experts can surely make fobs but i think getting fobs from the dealer is the best option.

Last edited by resharp001; 05-25-2021 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Removed re-direct link - potential spam.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

I lost one of my originals. I took my Jeep to a locksmith and they made one for $100 and it only took them a few minutes

But first I went to the dealer. I can’t remember the exact cost. But it was closer to $200 and they said I would have to leave my Jeep or schedule a time on another day. This was after the service dept. sent me to the parts department. Then the parts department back to the service department. I made like 6 trips and they didn’t seem to know the process.

Well, I left frustrated. But planned to drop my Jeep off another day. I googled locksmiths in the parking lot and called one. The guy said bring it and we can have you a new key made in 10 minutes. So that’s what I did.

Months later I ended up finding the original key that I lost in my couch cushion, so now I have 3 keys!

Last edited by Jeepersc; 05-28-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:56 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepersc
Months later I ended up finding the original key that I lost in my couch cushion, so now I have 3 keys!
That is funny. The real lesson is everyone should make an extra key when they have 2 on hand cuz it's as easy as can be to make that 3rd copy with no equipment. Lose one or have one crap out and it gets a bit trickier. I need to try using Jscan like others have just to test it out.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie
Veteran: Navy

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Bought uncut key on Amazon. Talked guy at Lowes into cutting it. Programmed as above.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-03-2021, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
That is funny. The real lesson is everyone should make an extra key when they have 2 on hand cuz it's as easy as can be to make that 3rd copy with no equipment. Lose one or have one crap out and it gets a bit trickier. I need to try using Jscan like others have just to test it out.
Jscan works just did it to mine with only one key
The following users liked this post:
EMKFLYER (06-07-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zrtman
Jscan works just did it to mine with only one key

This. JScan worked great for me and saved me a bunch over the dealer who said I needed PCM as my VIN didn’t match the PCM and they couldn’t make me a key. BS. I made mine in 10 minutes with JScan. If you search you can find my directions here in the forums. Once the key was cut programming was dead simple.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mr72
When my JK was nearly new in 2015 I lost one of the original keys. I am led to believe that without both original keys, I can't program the immobilizer on a replacement key.

What's my best option here to get a 2nd key?

Thanks-
If you lost one of the original keys to your JK and you don't have both keys, you may not be able to program a replacement key. Your best option would be to contact a reliable locksmith with experience in programming car keys, such as Super 24/7 Locksmith https://www.super247locksmith.com/ to assess your situation and provide you with the best solution to obtain a second key. They may be able to program a new key or advise you on obtaining a replacement key through a dealership.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default PIN on sticker?

Originally Posted by Rednroll
For them to program it they need your 4 digit key code pin which most of us have no idea what that 4 digit code is.
I found the original window stick in the glovebox of a jeep I'm working on, down at the bottom right after the VIN, is a 4 digit code labeled "L4-VON"

any chance this could be the magical PIN?

JohnR
Old 02-28-2023, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Mine was four digits, no letters. If you use JSCAN it will read and give you the PIN. Then you use that PIN to program and the new key. Simple.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Skytow
Mine was four digits, no letters. If you use JSCAN it will read and give you the PIN. Then you use that PIN to program and the new key. Simple.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean I thought "L4-VON" might be the PIN, there is a 4 digit number after that (was gonna add a pic, but looks like I cant just paste it here, have to upload to some URL thingy?).

I'm still deciding which software platform I want to try, JSCAN seems the most popular, but it is a phone based app (my old flip phone goes ring-ring and I say hello).
I currently have a laptop which I use for my Ford F-150, it has FORSCAN, and a USB/OBDII adapter, so I was hoping to find software that works with what I already have.
Looks like JSCAN can run on Windows with an emulator program, but I'm not sure if it would talk through the USB/OBDII adapter as JSCAN is designed around WI-FI or Bluetooth.

I found one called Appcar DiagFCA that runs on windows and prefers a wired adapter, and I have reached out to them to see if they can confirm my adapter will work.

JohnR
The following users liked this post:
Skytow (03-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to get a replacement key