Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cheapest way to get a replacement key

Old 12-18-2017, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cheapest way to get a replacement key

When my JK was nearly new in 2015 I lost one of the original keys. I am led to believe that without both original keys, I can't program the immobilizer on a replacement key.

What's my best option here to get a 2nd key?

Thanks-
Old 12-19-2017, 01:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr72
When my JK was nearly new in 2015 I lost one of the original keys. I am led to believe that without both original keys, I can't program the immobilizer on a replacement key.

Thanks-
I don't think that was true in 2015. Call a dealer, and ask.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 16FW
I don't think that was true in 2015. Call a dealer, and ask.
That's truly my last option. Hopefully someone will have a no-dealer-involved solution
Old 12-19-2017, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Thanks-
There's 3 things that need to be done, so keep that in mind. However, doing it the cheap route comes with some pains and I'll break each of these down for you.
1. Purchase an un-programmed and un-cut key fob
2. Cut the key to match your original
3. Program the key fob for your vehicle

The Cheap route: ($20-$30) Go on Ebay and purchase a refurbished OEM fob with an un-cut blank. Don't purchase the Chinese knock-offs, they're sh*t and you're only asking for more headaches down the line of the 3 step process.

The Expensive route: ($150-$200) Go to the dealership and purchase a new OEM fob with an un-cut blank

I found this to be the toughest part, which is amazing it would be so difficult to go somewhere to have a friggin key cut.
The majority of the places out there "can" cut the key for you, the problem is a lot of them won't cut it for you and will tell you they can't. The reason they say they can't is because of politics. They have had customers complain because the customer brought in their own fob, the key was cut incorrectly, and then the customer wants to make the store pay for the fob that they didn't purchase from the store. So a lot of places rather not deal with that potential headache and just tell you they are unable to cut the key for you. They're lying to you, but they have good reasons for that and that's due to unreasonable a-holes.

The Cheap route: ($0-$10)
Find a local hardware or auto lock-smith that cuts keys and ask them to cut it. Much easier said then done.
An auto locksmith will give you the least amount of grief if you can find one in your neighborhood, they are more about customer service and less about the politics. I went to a local Wal-mart and they were able to cut it with no problem for me and charged me $5. The next time I went back for another one, they told me they changed their policy and would not cut it. I went to a Home Depot, and a guy told me he would cut it for me. I went back the next day with the key and a different guy was working and told me he would not cut it. I went to a Lowes and an Ace Hardware who both told me they "can't" cut it. Those were lies. I went to a different Wal-mart and there was a nice older guy who explained to me the politics of why they wouldn't cut it but told me he had the same problem and informed me of a Lowes location that would cut it for me. I went to that Lowes and sure enough, he had the same equipment as the other Lowes that told me they can't cut it and he cut it for me. However, get this. He told me he would do if for "free" because if he charged me for it, then they could be held responsible for replacing my fob if it didn't work. So he cut it for me for free, and it worked like a charm. So there is no "official" policy among any of these stores. One store of a specific chain won't cut it, another one of the same chain will and worse yet, it even seems to depend on the person who happens to be working and cutting keys that shift.

The Expensive route: ($0-$50)
After you've purchased your ($150-$200) new fob from the dealership, have them cut it for you. They likely won't cut your $20 Ebay for you, it needs to be the new fob you purchased from them for the same politics as the retail stores. Some dealerships will cut the key for you for "free" as part of purchasing the new key fob from them.

The Cheap Route1: (Free)
This is the self programming method that can be done on our JK's. It requires that you have 2 already programmed keys which you don't currently have. You don't have this option.

The Mid cost Route: ($40-$60)
Go to an auto lock-smith if you have one in your area and ask them to program it for you. However, it's not that simple. For them to program it they need your 4 digit key code pin which most of us have no idea what that 4 digit code is. To get this code, you need to visit a dealership and provide them your registration which has your VIN on it, and also show them your driver's license. The dealership can then look up this key code for you and give it to you. There should be no charge for them to do this, you own the key code when your purchased the vehicle. Don't let them charge you for this....some dealerships have tried.

The Expensive Route: ($70-$125)
Have the dealership program the key fob for you. When you purchase the new key fob from the dealership, they will look up your key code for you, so they can program it for you. "Some" dealerships will program your $20 Ebay fob for you that is already cut (steps 1&2). Their stipulation is that you will still be charged for the programming if it works or not....no guarantee since you brought your own fob in, where some have brought a key fob in and the programming didn't work, typically because something is wrong with the fob that was brought in. It may have been defective (cheap Chinese knock-off) or it was already previously programmed and not cleared out properly (Re-furb fob risk). A dealership near me, programmed my $20 Ebay re-furbed key fob, that was cut free by the Lowes guy. The dealership charge me $70 for the programming but told me the stipulations before programming the key, that I would agree to pay the $70, if it worked or not.

So going the expensive route involves the least amount of headaches but can cost you up to $325-$375

Going the cheapest route has some potential headaches along the way where you can get it done for $60-$80.

You choose which is the best option path for you.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-19-2017 at 08:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rednroll:
Jcazier (10-08-2021), mr72 (12-19-2017), notti (10-12-2021)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
There's 3 things that need to be done, so keep that in mind. However, doing it the cheap route comes with some pains and I'll break each of these down for you.

Thanks a ton Rednroll that's [almost] exactly what I needed!!

However, I don't have a key fob. I have manual locks/windows. I just have a key. Presumably the same above all applies, only I just need to get the key itself programmed by a locksmith/dealer.

AFAIK it's about $300 to get the dealer to sell me a key and program/cut it for me. I can find transponder key blanks all day long for $20-30 for a pair, so if I could buy a pair and then have an automotive locksmith cut the keys and program them for me then I'm golden, right? That would be a reasonable option, two keys for like $100.

Or am I misinterpreting this? Some other complexity or loophole if I don't have power locks/windows?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks a ton Rednroll that's [almost] exactly what I needed!!

However, I don't have a key fob. I have manual locks/windows. I just have a key. Presumably the same above all applies, only I just need to get the key itself programmed by a locksmith/dealer.

AFAIK it's about $300 to get the dealer to sell me a key and program/cut it for me. I can find transponder key blanks all day long for $20-30 for a pair, so if I could buy a pair and then have an automotive locksmith cut the keys and program them for me then I'm golden, right? That would be a reasonable option, two keys for like $100.

Or am I misinterpreting this? Some other complexity or loophole if I don't have power locks/windows?
You got it.

I would still highly recommend purchasing an OEM un-programmed fob. They sell new ones and refurbed ones on Ebay, the re-furbed obviously cost less. $20 vs. $80. The auto locksmith's sell non OEM fobs as well, where if you have them do all the other work, then that isn't a bad path to take as well. Purchasing non OEM fobs, not purchased from the place that is doing steps 2 and 3 is pretty risky.

I originally went with the non OEM 2 key fobs for $25 Chinese knock-off route. I was able to work my way through the 3 steps and performed a self program in step 3. Then what I found out was that I was replacing batteries on the fobs once a month since both fobs for some reason ate batteries like there was no tomorrow, even when not using them, so I really didn't save myself any money going that route. I spent more in replacement batteries in 6 months, then I did for the fobs. I ended up throwing those 2 fobs in a drawer for just in case backup purposes with replacement batteries sitting next to them and then purchased a couple OEM refurbed fobs.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-19-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

I spent more in replacement batteries in 6 months, then I did for the fobs. I ended up throwing those 2 fobs in a drawer for just in case backup purposes with replacement batteries sitting next to them and then purchased a couple OEM refurbed fobs.
Well I shouldn't have that problem since the transponder key has no battery. It's passive.

But I'll probably buy the keys from the locksmith, just to make it one stop shopping and as you point out, make it more likely that they will ensure their keys work or not charge me.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Then what I found out was that I was replacing batteries on the fobs once a month since both fobs for some reason ate batteries like there was no tomorrow, even when not using them, so I really didn't save myself any money going that route. I spent more in replacement batteries in 6 months, then I did for the fobs.
Thanks for the informative posts earlier.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
Thanks for the informative posts earlier.
You think they could make it any more difficult? LOL!

My wife has a Renegade with keyless entry and a push button start. I've been scratching my head on where to even start to make a backup duplicate. You don't insert a key into the ignition or doors, so I have no idea if a self programming method is even available. I'm sure we'll get to look forward to that on the new JL as well.

Here's the Renegade fob.

and this is what the actual "key" looks like. We've never used the key, it might be for locking the glove box, but haven't looked. I have no idea who could even cut a key like this if we ever needed it.

My step son has a 2014 Jeep Patriot, with the same type of fobs as our JK. I purchased the Patriot used and only received one fob, same as MR72's situation. I purchased 2 OEM refurbed fobs from Ebay. I had both of them cut at Lowes (the one that would do it), took one of them into the dealership and had them program it for $70. Now thinking I have 2 working fobs, I could self program the other fob myself. So far I haven't been able to do it. So I don't know if there's something wrong with the 2nd refurbed fob, or if I'm doing the self programming procedure wrong, or if his 2014 Patriot doesn't allow a self programming. I'm probably going to take it to an auto lock-smith to see what they can do with it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-21-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But i have purchased those fobs from
experts and these fobs are working like new. It's been two months by now and no problem i have detected while operating it.

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to get a replacement key