Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

changing spark plugs

Old 07-13-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing spark plugs

I have a 119,000 on my jeep and I know I need to change plugs Is it a PITA or can a reasonable guy with a plug wrench do it. The dealer wants 235 bucks I used to change plugs all he time my self. back in the day like 40 years ago. and what kind of plug should I get is there a good upgrade?
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are a patient person, it's not too bad. Drivers side is a piece of cake, passengers side can be tricky especially if you are doing wires too.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Have some swivel connections and extensions for the passenger side closest to the firewall. And small hands.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:48 AM
Former Member

$235 plugs included? If so pay the man. Better his knuckles skinned than yoursget him to do the wires at the same time.
Also why go to the dealer? Joe's garage down the road can probably do as good or better job. Price out a few places.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 07-14-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrangler428
If you are a patient person, it's not too bad. Drivers side is a piece of cake, passengers side can be tricky especially if you are doing wires too.
Agree about the passenger side plugs. In my case (2007 with dual batteries), I also have to pull both batteries. Makes access way easier.

Others have commented on difficulty with wires. I don't know why. Take a picture of both sides (you probably won't need, but just in case). Pull out the entire wiring harness. Lay on a workbench. Take another picture. Pull apart and replace with OEM wires (you know they'll fit exactly), referring to your picture for routing. Put harness back into engine, rerouting around back exactly as it came out. Reconnect as you replace each plug.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just changed the ones on the wifes 2010 (75k). Like everyone said the driver side is a breeze. To help with the passenger rear most plug I found it helped to pull the plastic hose clips off the valve cover studs and that gave just enough room. Also helpful tip, use dielectric grease on your boots. None of hers had any and 1 (the rear most passenger side plug) pulled the metal retainer clean off the wire. Also make sure you're checking and re checking the gaps. Dont want to go back in there a 2nd time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using JK-Forum
Old 07-16-2015, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Pull the entire passenger side flare off, literally 5 minutes and then you have direct access to the plugs. It's 5 or 6 10 mm bolts then a pull up and out. I won't change my plugs without pulling the flare.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Default is it better to pull the flare? or the battery tray

I just looked at it and was getting set to do it. but the battery tray look like a major pita. when you pull the inner fender flare ar you working with the jeep on lift or just laying on ground or crawler.. I am 62 and not so flexible any more. But I did put my rear bumper and tire carrier all alone I just used the brain to lift it into place with some ratchet straps it was pretty heavy,,,
Old 08-11-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid the dealer $295 to change all the plugs and wires on my 2008. I had them do it since I have the lifetime transmission and engine warranty. One less thing they can blame if there is an issue. I also let them do the transmission drain and fill. Small price to pay if it needs to be replaced.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
I just looked at it and was getting set to do it. but the battery tray look like a major pita. when you pull the inner fender flare ar you working with the jeep on lift or just laying on ground or crawler.. I am 62 and not so flexible any more. But I did put my rear bumper and tire carrier all alone I just used the brain to lift it into place with some ratchet straps it was pretty heavy,,,
I had mine sitting in the garage when I pulled the flare. The battery box stays in place. When you pull the flare, you can basically look right in at the plugs but if you need a little more room, you can always pull the passenger tire off. I left mine in place and just turned hard driver. Next time I will pull the tire off. No creeper or lift needed.

Quick Reply: changing spark plugs