Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Changing oil

Old 05-17-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the Mobile 1 silver cap, dino based synthetic. Keep it under 5k on changes. Buy it in the 5 gallon jug at your local meglo-mart. Use the Mobile 1 synthetic filter, not because of "synthetic", but because it just filters and flows better. The gold cap Mobile 1 is a true syn for 15k. With day to day and off road driving the oil will hold up that long, but the amount of crud in your oil after this much mileage isn't worth it. Use silver cap and keep it under 5k.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txspud
Go with the Mobile 1 silver cap, dino based synthetic. Keep it under 5k on changes. Buy it in the 5 gallon jug at your local meglo-mart. Use the Mobile 1 synthetic filter, not because of "synthetic", but because it just filters and flows better. The gold cap Mobile 1 is a true syn for 15k. With day to day and off road driving the oil will hold up that long, but the amount of crud in your oil after this much mileage isn't worth it. Use silver cap and keep it under 5k.
Mobil 1 (as you put it) silver cap, is not a dino based oil, but rather a fully sythetic bassed product, using fully synthetic chemicals = PAO esthers, and has been for over 20 years now.
The difference between the regular Mobil 1, (silver cap), and the entended life is that extended life is formulated to last longer. In other words it has more chemicals added. IMO just a market ploy.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Mobil 1 make a syn 5w20 motor oil?
Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Does Mobil 1 make a syn 5w20 motor oil?
Yes
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...s/Mobil_1.aspx
Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lorrel
As far as using an oversized filter, some do, however be careful, and know what you're doing.. Many oversized filters can and will fit, but may not have the same specifications, such as the proper pressure for the bypass valve, as the one designed for you vehicle. This could be cause for a dealer to void your warranty should anything happen to your engine as far as the lubrication system goes. I don't see the benifit gained for doing so, plus with the correct size filter, your oil level is at the correct level at 6 qts and not a 1/2 pint or so low.
The filter i'm using is the filter that they use in the minivan for this engine. I always check to make sure I have the correct amount of oil running through (i'm a little obsessive as i usually wind up double and triple checking for a couple days after the oil change)
Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

Avoid fram filters, they are junk.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chanceit
Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

Avoid fram filters, they are junk.
What makes Fram Filters bad? Is it the material that they are using and what damage did it cause on a vehicle if any...Thanks...
Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aldaman
What makes Fram Filters bad? Is it the material that they are using and what damage did it cause on a vehicle if any...Thanks...
Check the places that test filters, and you will see that Fram is known as a low grade filter, that lets a lot of particles escape, that most others stop.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Probably overkill, but I use Mobil 1 5w -20 every 3000 because it makes me feel good about my jeep. I guess I'm rather easy to please.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just this past week, I visited with a friend that is a automotive Technician instructor for one of the big three companys. Some of his examples of bad filters that had caused problems were as listed below. These fitlers were collected in the past 120 days.

Napa Gold, holds in the filtering media.

AC Delco, no oil flowing thru them after running several thousand miles. Totally dry inside.

Chrysler filters, no problems found

Ford filters, no problems found

Amzoil filters plugged early and then bypass a lot of crap. Especially in diesel useage.

Mobil 1 filters. Hole in media and poor amount of filter media.

Fram actually did not have a problem with their gas or diesel engines, Surprised me!

Some Amzoil filters in the Ford 6 litre diesel, had blown the ends off of the filter. OUCH!

Fleetguard, zero problems.

Wix, Good media but had poor glue seal at paper ends in the canisters and allowing oil to bypass the filtering media.

For my money I will use the OEM filters as they do not seem to have as many issues as the others seem to have.

Quick Reply: Changing oil